PDA

View Full Version : wash between SMR and Z

jrush
11-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Is it 100% neccasary to wash after SMR before Zaino or can I just Z6 the surface really well. I started a project today and then the winds here in socal kicked up really bad and I would rather not opent he garage agin if I don`t have to. thanks for any advise.

paco
11-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Although, some have stated success without the washing step. It could decrease the amount of time the Zaino lasts. With winter upon us, that does play a more significant part.

It really depends on how much you worked it and how much material may potentially be left behind.

You could consider following up with a 50/50 mixture of water and IPA in a spray bottle to remove any residual oil and then a double dose of Z6 just to be safe.

Good luck..

paco

drewski59
11-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by paco

You could consider following up with a 50/50 mixture of water and IPA in a spray bottle to remove any residual oil and then a double dose of Z6 just to be safe.

Ditto.;)

It`s a necessity! Unless you don`t want your Zaino to last very long or shine its best. Surface prep is the key to Zaino. Skip a step or two and you shouldn`t even use Zaino. I would SMR, clay with Z7 dilute as a lube, then Z6x2 and start layering away(if you have Zfx). If not, just Z1 then Z5 or Z2. Don`t forget the 24 hr. cure times.:xyxthumbs

:wavey

DETAILKING
11-27-2002, 02:00 PM
SMR contains a mineral oil similar to what is in IHG. This aids the product in a few ways. First it provides lubrication for the abrasives, and second, yields a better looking finish after it is buffed away.

I would wash the car, or at least rinse it and QD it. if the QD smears, i would go back and use Z7 wash or dawn on it. Not only will the oils interfere with the bonding of zaino, but they could still contain some fine suspended abrasives.