PDA

View Full Version : If paint is in pretty good condition, should this be all I need?

motobuild
11-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Hey yall, I have a 01 VW Jetta, paint is in pretty good shape (VW`s paint seems to hold up really well up here in AK). I have never really been into detailing (just not educated enough), but have at least waxed my car with Meguiers Gold Class every other month or so.

Anyways, after starting to read here, I picked up some S100 Wax, and Paint Cleaner. Should this be all I need if all I am doing is wanting to give it some nice shine (I have a White Car BTW) and some good protection? I buddy of mine gave me about a half a bottle of 3M IHG (Hey I am learning the abbervations:), should I use it? I cant really see any swirl marks (but then again it is a white car) and actully I am not even sure what IHG is sposed to do. Or what is the proper way to apply it, etc....

On a side note, my girl is getting a new Chevy Trailblazer, I told her if she gets me a Potter-Cable buffer, I will detail her car for her, even if not, I told her not to have the dealer touch her car, and I will hand clean/wax it with the S100 (good idea?).

CharlesW
11-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Tusin

On a side note, my girl is getting a new Chevy Trailblazer, I told her if she gets me a Potter-Cable buffer, I will detail her car for her, even if not, I told her not to have the dealer touch her car, and I will hand clean/wax it with the S100 (good idea?).

Absolutely! Good for her car and should make some points for you, as well.:p

Charles

motobuild
11-26-2002, 01:36 PM
lol, Yeh I told her that if she doesnt get me the Potter-Cable, then its going to take some incentive;) I mean my arms are going to be dead after doing her car, and then my car.

RedVR6
11-26-2002, 01:42 PM
The PC works wonders on saving your arms. I used to do my Jetta without it and wish I had gotten the PC from the get go...especially with the lack of clearcoat I have on the car.

What kind of paint cleaner did you get? You might want to do a `once over` with a clay bar too occassionally to get the embedded dirt off the paint prior to cleaning and waxing.

The IHG...not a big fan of it. IHG is a very mild polish that has oils in it that more or less fills your swills to help hide them. I have found that it washes/wears off after a few washes and leaves a bit of a greasy finish to the car. If you want to polish...I recommend using a very mild one, especially if you do not see any swirls.

A good coat of wax will do just fine for you. :)