PDA

View Full Version : Clay magic?

gearhead58
11-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Hi,

Just wondering where`s the best place online or instore to get some Clay magic bars. I don`t have an autozone near by. Can you some tell me how much and where the best price would be? Also what is the difference between the red and blue bar. I am planning to use it on a 6 month old Silver BMW X5. How well is it combining it with Z6. Thanks in advance.

Detailing NY
11-25-2002, 07:29 PM
The red bar is more aggressive. I only use the red bar, not sure why just its the only bar i use.

You can get it at any local autobody supply store, that is where i get mine.

I dont use any of the Z products so I cant answer that question, but i can tell you it should have no effect.

Claying the car does not inhance the look of the car persay.

What it does is remove all the crap that is laying on the top of the paint. It will leave the paint feeling very smooth and clean.

Then once you clay you can add anything you want on top of it.

Hope this helps ya

NYD

gearhead58
11-25-2002, 07:37 PM
Do you usally wash again after you clay or go directly into your polish or wax?

imported_BretFraz
11-25-2002, 08:48 PM
I see no sensible reason why a typical car owner should use Clay Magic Red. It`s too aggressive. Use the Blue. A pro detailer needs more aggressive products but you don`t.

Lots of places sell it online. I`d start here: http://www.automagic.com/specialt.htm

For a cheap clay lubricant try mixing some car shampoo and water in a spray bottle. I like Z7 mix. Lots cheaper than QD.

If you are going to follow the clay step with some polishing then skip the wash. Again, no real need to wash since you`ll be making a mess with the polish.

If your final step is Zaino then you do need to wash prior to using it. Otherwise oils and fillers from the previous step interferes with Zaino`s bonding action.

Detailing NY
11-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I see no sensible reason why a typical car owner should use Clay Magic Red. It`s too aggressive. Use the Blue. A pro detailer needs more aggressive products but you don`t.

Lots of places sell it online. I`d start here: http://www.automagic.com/specialt.htm

For a cheap clay lubricant try mixing some car shampoo and water in a spray bottle. I like Z7 mix. Lots cheaper than QD.

If you are going to follow the clay step with some polishing then skip the wash. Again, no real need to wash since you`ll be making a mess with the polish.

If your final step is Zaino then you do need to wash prior to using it. Otherwise oils and fillers from the previous step interferes with Zaino`s bonding action.

I agree with Bret, I never use QD for claying the car, way to expensive, soapy water works well.