PDA

View Full Version : Scratched on side of garage

imported_RyDawg
11-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Well, I really screwed up today. In a rush, watching to make sure my two young kids were out of the way, I hit the side of my gargage entrance as I backed out (BMW 540 - Black paint). The wall I hit was stucco so left some serious groove scratches on the paint. The scratches going through the paint to the metal. Fortuntately, there are no dents.

What are my options? Can I fix this problem without paying an arm and a leg. Is it something I should leave to a professional? If so, anyone know someone in the Bay Area (San Francisco) that can help. Thanks.

aljo
11-25-2002, 01:39 AM
I suggest you get this professionally done.

Since its down to the bare metal, its very important that it gets fixed properly. If it doesn`t, that area is going to show signs of rust.

Since its such a small area, it shouldn`t cost you too much.

imported_BretFraz
11-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Yup, time for a body shop visit.

I`d PM Carguy as he lives in the bay area and owns some expensive cars (M5 for example). He might have a recommendation for you.

Redcar GUY
11-25-2002, 12:50 PM
okok I have to ask.....Is the garage ok:(

nate010753
11-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Yup I have done that took out the rear corner panel of my car on a brick wall. hit it right on the corner while make the turn! I was furious. But I figure I`ll get it fixed and may have them buff out a big scratch on my hood and a sizeable paint chip there as well. BI went to a few shops and found the prices to vary greatly. Here is my suggestion to you I went with the cheapest bid. Don`t necessarily do that. When I got the car back the painted panel looked great. However there was compound dust everywhere. All under the wipers ( in that groove there) all over the molding around the headlights. The scratch came out though so I can`t fault them for that. Then I inspected the paint chip. Seems they didn`t feel the need to remove the rust and didn`t even touch it up entirely. Then the real kick in the *** came when I opened the door to find that they didn`t even cover my mats with something. I was left with big dusty footprints. I suspect again the dried up compound. I was disgusted with this place and would never reccommend them. I was washing my car and asked a few people that were waxing their cars of a good meticulious body shop and got my reccomendations from people in the know!

So my advice to you is if you don;t already have a reputable body shop to ask around in forums like this or from fellow detailers.