PDA

View Full Version : Best suggestion scratch removal on chrome window trim strip?

brenesx
11-24-2002, 09:36 AM
I had an owner with a screw loose and a dislike for finely detailed cars (he made a comment about how he hated people who spent time cleaning and waxing their cars) set a pack of his three dogs loose on my perfectly Zaino`d driver`s side door. I had about 30 coats of Zaino on my silver car. :rolleyes:

I used SMR and a 10 coats of Zaino to repair the paint to the point where a microscope or work lamps would be needed to see two tiny 1/2" scratches that I couldn`t get out (I love car haters who don`t cut their dog`s nails and train them to jump on and scratch nearby cars to insure maximum damage to cars near their driveway :(

Here is my "boggle." I`ve got some P21S Multi-surface Finish Restorer (the stuff in the nice little tube) to fix some plastic and paint problems on some other cars.

I wondered if anyone knew or had removed tiny scratches in chrome window trim (between door and the glass) that cannot be felt with a fingernail. The scratches were almost invisible at my Dawn wash. But, with 10-coats of Z2 and Z5 to "protect" the paint, the chrome scratches look like white spots from about 10-feet in bright sunlight (The reflectivity has changed – they are not really white).

I have three 3/4" wide by 1/4- to 1/2-inch high patches of very fine scratches in the chrome window trim (made by dog nails) that need to be "buffed out"/”polished”

I would appreciate any suggestions on finding the best rouge/polish to use on chrome. I looked around and the P21 tube (as seen on CMA) and the Eagle one seem to get high ratings. I need something with a mild abrasive to remove the very fine vertical scratches.

I`m not worried about pre- and post- protection; just finding something that someone has had good luck with in removing light chrome scratches.

To be clear -- the scratches cannot be felt with my fingernail, but they can be seen. The more coats of Zaino Z2 that went on (including Z5) the more visible the scratches became as the rest of the chrome became blinding in the midday sun!

TIA

masterfinish
11-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Try a mild polish first and work you way up to a light to medium compound. I would not worry too much about brands as this a small area. The big thing is to be sure what the trim is. Real chrome can be triple plated like what you see on a older show car. Most new cars are a cheap copy called bright metal that is either polished stainless, or aluminum. We have even seen plastic parts chromed. Put a lot of product on the scratched area and hold the polisher so it does not put much pressure on the part. The light friction combined with the correct polish will do the job. You may want to cover the surrounding area since this procedure will splatter.

Tom

jag 60
11-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Find a local replating shop and get their professional opinion. Those guys have their "tricks of the trade" and a bag full of special tools. Best of Luck.

imported_Tony
11-24-2002, 11:25 PM
I am interested in your problem so if you find a good method please post.

This is the problem I am working on.

Problem: scratches on a clear coated chrome wheel on the front left side of my 2001 PT Cruiser. I put the scratches there trying to remove brake dust with a too coarse cleaning sponge.

The CMA spot remover kit includes a 3" backing plate and adapters for a drill and a PC, Small wool pad and a small foam polishing pad. Oh yes the kit has two small spray bottles one for water and one to use with alcohol and water and some Viper mf towels. The only problem I had with the kit was installing the adapters in the backing plate. I had to work the adaperts by screwing them partly in and out until they would bottom. The problem I believe was the threads on the backing plate. A little work and I the adapters were installed.

I drove the Cruiser onto the rhino ramps and got started. I prepared the water and alcohol spray and the water only spray. I tried a few different stoners polishes but no luck. I got the DACP and applied the DACP to the clear coated chrome surface. Then I put the wool pad on my PC and sprayed the pad with water. Placed the pad againist the surfaced and set the speed to number four. Turned on the PC and worked the DACP ( increased the speed to 5) and continued to work the product until the product broke down. This worked very well and the scratches were removed. I followed with #9 on the polishing pad. See the CMA site for a better description for using the kit. I could not tell if the #9 was helping. It was getting dark and I thought it would be a good time to stop. I only did one section of the wheel because I want to be able to see the results in the day light before continuing.

So far I am very pleased. I will update when I have time to do more.

Last edited by rightlane on 11-02-2002 at 10:37 PM

brenesx
11-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by fran o`neil

Find a local replating shop and get their professional opinion. Those guys have their "tricks of the trade" and a bag full of special tools. Best of Luck.

I have a guy down the street I`ve used for decorative chrome plating (not to be confused with hard chrome on rocker shafts, etc). Might be a good idea...

It might help to actually discover what Acura is using for trim...

I`m going to try the mildest GP (general purpose) rouge I`ve got and see what happens on a small spot.

When I consider it the second post, I wonder just what the strip is made of (and/or what base/substrate is composed of). The chrome on the bumper of an old `65 Lincoln Continental would have cleaned up with a soft cloth!

brenesx
11-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

I am interested in your problem so if you find a good method please post.

Fixed… :)

I tried a bit of the P21S and it was too harsh for the chrome trim strips (a few people said the Simichrome was a bit harsh too, but didn`t leave any scratching or hazing on my trim strip.)

I grabbed a tube of Happich Simichrome Polish and an old super soft white t-shirt (I`ve got some old ripped ones that come in "handy." (I`ve got applicators, buffing wheels, and foam pads, etc, but the soft t-shirt was recommended for use with the Simichrome.)

I first removed the Zaino with some rubbing alcohol.

I rubbed the chrome strip using a tiny dab and rubbed sideways along the trim. It took about 3 passes at 5-minutes per pass to remove the scratches. The 3 original "patches" looked like someone had taken a carbide-coated toothbrush and wiped straight up and down. After each pass, the white cotton picked up a dark gray color and the "patches" of scratching slowly disappeared. I washed the chrome down and applied some wax (for now) to check the finish.

I got some recommendations on some other products, but decided to try the Simichrome first.

"Blue Magic" was something that was mentioned along with the Simichrome...

YMMV

imported_Tony
11-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks SilverCLS for the tip

KCPreki11
11-29-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by SilverCLS

Fixed… :)

I tried a bit of the P21S and it was too harsh for the chrome trim strips (a few people said the Simichrome was a bit harsh too, but didn`t leave any scratching or hazing on my trim strip.)

I grabbed a tube of Happich Simichrome Polish and an old super soft white t-shirt (I`ve got some old ripped ones that come in "handy." (I`ve got applicators, buffing wheels, and foam pads, etc, but the soft t-shirt was recommended for use with the Simichrome.)

I first removed the Zaino with some rubbing alcohol.

I rubbed the chrome strip using a tiny dab and rubbed sideways along the trim. It took about 3 passes at 5-minutes per pass to remove the scratches. The 3 original "patches" looked like someone had taken a carbide-coated toothbrush and wiped straight up and down. After each pass, the white cotton picked up a dark gray color and the "patches" of scratching slowly disappeared. I washed the chrome down and applied some wax (for now) to check the finish.

I got some recommendations on some other products, but decided to try the Simichrome first.

"Blue Magic" was something that was mentioned along with the Simichrome...

YMMV

Are you on ACL.com?

brenesx
12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by KCPreki11

Are you on ACL.com?

Not this second ... :D