PDA

View Full Version : GREAT detailing write up.

samiam513
11-22-2002, 10:24 PM
I skimmed this article (can read the whole thing. I`ll get too fidgity) and thought it was rather good for a noob. Talks about buffers, what they are, how to use them, when to use them ect ect ect.

I learned a some just skimming.

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/nast1.html

Steve @ Guru
11-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Holy no-formatting Batman!

Well, I struggled through that cluster-f, and while it`s not a bad article, there were a few misleading things...lots of "old skool" info, but decent, nonetheless.

C. Charles Hahn
11-22-2002, 11:40 PM
decent for noobs, but I would say he`s a bit too into smoking his meguiar`s pipe....

jimmybuffit
11-23-2002, 01:07 AM
I tried, I really did. He seemed to have contempt for `pro` detailers, an overall arrogant attitude, and, of course, the overwhelming bias to the dreaded `M` product line.

It is so poorly written (and presented) that I stopped after 5 or 6 paragraphs. Altho there may be be something valuable I`ve been to the "M" website, I`ve used the products, and I`ve heard the negative "Management" take on the general competition...

Meguiars. Not in my Shop. Not for my valued customers.

Jim

VetteToVair
11-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by jimamary

I tried, I really did. He seemed to have contempt for `pro` detailers, an overall arrogant attitude, and, of course, the overwhelming bias to the dreaded `M` product line.

It is so poorly written (and presented) that I stopped after 5 or 6 paragraphs. Altho there may be be something valuable I`ve been to the "M" website, I`ve used the products, and I`ve heard the negative "Management" take on the general competition...

Meguiars. Not in my Shop. Not for my valued customers.

Jim

in the first 5 or 6 paragraphs you read, can you point out to me this contempt you speak of? perhaps the arrogance? there was a bias? it seemed pretty clear that he wasn`t biased when he said use what works for you. meguiars worked for him. so what? btw, i`ve never found anything that even compared to meguiars BSP polishes. there are some good products in the "dreaded line". how many people must hate meguiars before it is considered dreaded? because, frankly, i think its comical to suggest an entire line of products that size sucks. but that`s just me. if you could look beyond your contempt for the products he used, there is some valuable information in there.

shaf
11-23-2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

decent for noobs, but I would say he`s a bit too into smoking his meguiar`s pipe.... I agree! :p A bit too brand loyal for a general article IMO.

Some other issues I have:

- the Meguiar`s line of "feeder oils" and the notion of oils in paint as if it were skin or leather or something. :rolleyes:

- the idea that Megs products are special and different from all other products and that they work as a system or something.

- telling people that #34 FI is a waterless wash.

- advocates synthetic washmitts.

- never mentions MF towels

- he never stresses the skill level necessary to use a rotary and never suggests practicing before using it on their precious BMWs... :nono

Formatting sucks.

Other than that it is fairly informative and thorough, and well intentioned. The eBook is a better place to start though.

TurboCat
11-23-2002, 07:18 AM
I do a lot of reading, and WOW this is hard to read. The formatting is terrible and the whole thing needs editing badly!!!

:nono

imported_Dude
11-23-2002, 11:18 AM
I don`t know, I thought it wasn`t too bad. I liked the emphasis on glazing.

mrdetailer
11-23-2002, 01:00 PM
He didn`t mention Dual Action Cleaner Polish. One of the best surface preps for cars that haven`t been waxed in a long time.

As for Bias. Sure, it clearly says it is for Meguiars. So there will be no recommendation of say P21S.

cerdas
11-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Thank heavens for the Autopia Guide to Detailing! If I had to learn to detail from instructions like those I`d lose my mind!

Mike_Phillips
11-23-2002, 03:23 PM
At the time Mr. Nast wrote the original article the BSP products were not around. The closest thing we had back then to what is in the BSP line today is the #9 Swirl Remover. Our Diminishing Abrasive’s technology has come a long way since then.

Mr. Nast wrote this article after I did a "How to polish paint" seminar for the Seattle area BMW club at "Phil Smart" BMW in Seattle back in 1990.

During this seminar, I claimed I could polish one half a black hood by hand, and the other by machine and the average person could not tell the difference.

Mr. Nast took me up on my offer. He invited me to his house where he had cameras and a black BMW all set up and ready to go. Afterwards, he wrote up the whole experience in regional BMW magazine he writes for, called "Zundfolge".

I have the original two editions of "Zundfolge" where he interviewed me and gave me credit for the information for the article.

At the time I was the Northwest Rep for Meguiar`s, thus the Meguiar’s` slant. I always recommend staying inside a system.

Thus, the “System†approach I still advocate today, thirteen years later. In others words, if you want to use Meguiar`s, use the Meguiar’s system, if you want to use Mothers, use the Mothers system, and if you prefer Zaino... then use the Zaino system. I’m some of you will agree with this approach while other will not, that’s your personal choice. The first thing I learned when I went into “Sales†was if a person likes a system or a product and is happy with the results they are getting†leave them alone. There is plenty of opportunity elsewhere.

When I met Mr. Nast, he seemed pretty clueless to detailing cars. Ever sense the magazine interview, I have seen versions of his article all over the web.

Mr. Nast and his partner tried to convince me to write a "How-to" book that they would market along with selling Meguiar`s products, worldwide via mail-order and the soon to be internet.

They tried to purchase the RDC I worked for from Jack Birkby. (R.D.C. stands for Regional Distribution Center, Meguiar’s had 11 RDC in the States, this is somewhat like what Zaino does today.)

I quickly learned that what they wanted from me was all of my hands-on experience detailing cars on paper and then they would toss me out like motel matches.

Ahh yes, Mr. Thomas B. Nast. It brings back some memories.

Mike Phillips