PDA

View Full Version : BO6040-review part1

ultrajim49
11-22-2002, 07:04 AM
Review part 1 :

indeed, `cause this review is only about the machine and the original pads as I picked the ROB up yesterday.

Pad dia.:6"

Amp 220V:3.4A

Power : 750 Watts

Forced rotation : 180 -> 670 RPM

Orbits per minute : 1600->5800 OPM

Orbit dia.7/32"

Weight : 5.9 lbs

I paied 223Euro`s for the machine wich was a bargain(sp?) as the prices on e-bay usual go around 400Euro (= Dollars)

The first impression I had when opening the plastic toolbox was : wow , this thing is massive!

Wat comes in the box?

one (1) abrasive disk (velcro)

one (1) Hex-wrench for changing packingplate

one (1) joint for dust extraction

the toolbox

a manual

and the random orbital naturaly:D

The speed dial switch is located at the end of the machine where the extention chord is.A nice touch is a little chart at the side of the machine with the speeds for the various settings:

1=1600opm , 180rpm

2=2100opm , 240rpm

3=3600opm , 420rpm

4=5100opm , 590rpm

5=5800opm , 670rpm

(rpm = forced rotation)

the machine has a lever ,you can choose between what they call the roto-obit mode and the random orbit mode.

In the roto-orbit mode the pad is rotating as wel as orbiting

The manual is small and ineffective what polishing is concerned.I know that the machine was designed as a ROB-sander, but still...

Manual says

for applying wax : use roto-orbit motion with sponge pad

for removing wax: use roto-orbit motion with felt pad

for polishing : use roto-orbit motion with wool pad

:nixweiss

That`s all folks! you have to do it with that much info:doh

Along with the BO6040 I bought a genuine wool & sponge pad:

the sponge pad is orange , soft and costed me 17 Euro`s

The wool pad costed me 52Euro`s: :shocked

I had the man behind the desk check and doublecheck that price , but that was it!!!

I felt ripped-off

CMA may have high shipping-costs , but with such prices I`m willing to order from them:xyxthumbs

I`ll use the ROB as soon as weather permits it(might try it on the fridge or so in the mean time:D )

Christiaan

edit: some typing errors were corrected

shaf
11-22-2002, 01:40 PM
:eek: Wow - what a monster! The North America version costs $300 US, and is rated at 6.6 amps at our 110v - now that`s power!

I read there`s an optional side handle for it so it handles like a PC. Did you get this?

It`s interesting to note it has a pad brake. I`m wondering if this is a feature to keep the pad from spinning itself to death if you lift it off the surface while it`s running? Here`s an interesting page comparing sanders:

http://www.americanwoodworker.com/200111/2002_buyers_guide/RandomOrbitSanders.html

ultrajim49
11-25-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

[B

I read there`s an optional side handle for it so it handles like a PC. Did you get this?

[/B]

Didn`t get this (yet)

This week-end I could play some with the ROB.

With sanding discs on wood , `cause wife,kids and car were out:D

This machine is silent

Realy, If I compare with the PC on David`s video the Makita is more like humming .I doubt that my neighbours are going to hear it (closest one 50feet away)

Vibrations: they are there (naturaly) but after a good half hour work with no stop, no shaky hands after:xyxthumbs

Power: this machine doesnt stop when bearing down on it, and sandpaper gives more friction than a polishing pad.More than enough power!

No heating of the device, sure the motor warms up, but not hot.

IMHO the reliability should be OK.

Christiaan

ultrajim49
11-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

No,

I made me one :D

ultrajim49
11-28-2002, 09:34 AM
bit strange lighting

shaf
11-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Good work Christiaan. :xyxthumbs You`re right - that lighting is a bit strange. Somehow it strikes me as the sort of image you`d find on the cover of a CD... ;)

Nagchampa
11-28-2002, 02:49 PM
I know that a rotary and a random orbit are two totally different animals, but it seems like you wouldn`t be satisfied with the results from the porter cable. Why would you choose the ROB over a rotary? It seems like it is overkill but overkill is usually cool!

ultrajim49
11-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Why did I choose the ROB over a rotary?

That`s your Q. right?

I`m new to the detailing game, I just mastered the hand-applications-techniques and find I`m ready for the next level.

I`m a car-nut(car-enthousiast:D ) but not a pro, so I saw no use for the rotary except maybe 2 or 3 times in a car`s life.

A ROB comes in handy on several occasions, polishing, waxing(applying Z), glazing(as a test),... plus I have work for it in the wood-work section of my home-improvment chores.

Why no PC then?

Living in Belgium makes that our machines require 220V and a PC is 110V.Plus shipping-costs,...

And after reading reviews I found that the Makita BO6040 is very close to the PC7336SP (just has bigger power ).

Hope that answeres

Christiaan

imported_Aurora40
11-29-2002, 09:14 AM
I was really intrigued by the fact that you can lock the pad from rotating. The PC has a pad that freely rotates all the time while the shaft traces out a circle (two seperate rotations like a planet spinning while it rotates around the sun). It sounds like by locking the pad from rotating, you might get results that are closer to what a rotary can get. This might be useful for polishes and cleaners and such, then you can unlock the pad for finishing stuff. Have you gotten much chance to play around with that, or have you formed any impressions of the pad lock?

ultrajim49
11-29-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Have you gotten much chance to play around with that, or have you formed any impressions of the pad lock?

:sosad

Not yet

Hope to tell soon,

today I found an adress for Megiuars foam pads in Belgium:xyxthumbs

Man , I hope I don`t have to compensate the hours I searched The Net:D

Christiaan