PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones for professionals...

Pages : [1] 2

msmcdon
11-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Do you all use one for your business? I`m very behind the times here, as my wife and I don`t own one at all... in fact we have resisted getting one because we find them so annoying at times. However, once I put my annoyance away, I realize that I probably will need one once I get my mobile business from a part-time thing (right now) to a full time thing this Spring.

Before I go and do research, I wanted to ask all your opintions on carriers and different packages... are you all happy with your carrier?

Thanks!

masterfinish
11-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Let your fingers do the walking. Look up what carriers are available in your area and ask to have literature sent to you. Over the phone and in person you will be pushed to make a decision immediately. By asking for their brochures on calling plans available you can sit down, take your time and read the fine print to see what the true limitations are. All plans sound too good to be true and many are. Thoroughly reading the information willhelp you find just what is right for you.

I personally use Verizon mostly due to the fact that they were previously Cellular one and I had a phone through them for 14 years. Due to my longevity and corporate rate it did not make sense for me to switch.

Do not pick a phone for a toy, this a tool for business, fancy gadgets just waste battery life and other gimicky options can waste air time.

Good luck and try not to be overwhelmed when you here how many plans there are.

Tom

Zealot
11-21-2002, 04:47 PM
I recently purchased my first cell phone for my mobile detailing business. It`s the number I put on my cards/brochures & flyers. I went with Verizon, the phone itself was $30 (normally $70, but it was on sale if you ordered via the web) and the package is $40/month for 600 any time minutes w/unlimited night & weekends and free LD. Based on what I read on other forums, I stayed away from Sprint and Cingular. I did a search in the "off-topic"/"lounge" forums of other car sites to get my info :)

Taxlady
11-21-2002, 05:00 PM
I would reiterate everything HoneyGold said.

It makes my business life easier. I can ask directions when I get lost on the way to a client. I can phone, if I get there and they don`t answer the door.

Do you have a PDA? I find that invaluable for business too. There are three gizmos that I would suggest if you have a PDA with an IR port (maybe most of them?). Get a cell phone with an IR port. It was such a pain in the ____ to input all those phone numbers using the tiny keypad on the phone. I want to "beam" them to my next cell phone. Typed in on the computer`s full sized keyboard, synced to the Palm, beamed to the cell phone.

The second gizmo is something to make the phone hands free. Either a speaker for the car (probably the preferable) or the ear plug with microphone. I have the earplug thingee and I forget to bring it, forget to put it in my ear, have it pop out of my ear when I turn my head.

The third gizmo is a recharger for in the car. I use that when I`ve been talking a lot or forgot to recharge the phone.

You can probably get most of the info from the brochures on line. I did it that way. It was pretty overwhelming. I followed up with phone calls and specific questions.

boywonder
11-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by HoneyGold65

Do you all use one for your business? I`m very behind the times here, as my wife and I don`t own one at all... in fact we have resisted getting one because we find them so annoying at times. However, once I put my annoyance away, I realize that I probably will need one once I get my mobile business from a part-time thing (right now) to a full time thing this Spring.

Before I go and do research, I wanted to ask all your opintions on carriers and different packages... are you all happy with your carrier?

Thanks!

Since you are doing the business thing (as am I), you might want to consider the AT&T plan (Unlimited minutes for $99.99).

I am currently on their TDMA plan and I am about to switch to this because I not only have that to think about but I also have 1001 other folks buzzing me on different issues.

imported_BretFraz
11-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Also consider the region you want/need to use the phone in. Nationwide plans are great if you plan to travel a lot and need the phone everywhere you go. But many folks stay in a limited region or rarely need a cell phone away from home. Every metro area is going to offer different rate plans for local, regional, and national usage. On a per minute basis the cheapest is usually a local or regional rate plan. Shop prices carefully.

If you are going to use your phone regularly outside your home area, look at phones and services that provide both digital and analog service (known as "dual mode" or even "tri mode"). Without getting all technical, in many rural areas of the nation only analog cell service exists and if you do not have a phone that can default to analog, your phone will not work. Again, not a big deal if you are only using it locally but if you plan to travel or use it in a wide area, its something to consider.

Since I want/need a phone that will work everywhere and I don`t like paying roaming fees or long distance charges, I use AT&T Wireless and their Digital One Rate plan. It works great in big cities and in places like Nowheresville, Alabama and deepest, darkest Arkansas. It ain`t cheap but I want coverage and no hassles so that`s what I`ve got.

Compare all the rates from your local carriers and look closely at their coverage maps. Give serious thought to when and where you want to use a cell phone. From there the answers get clearer. Have fun shopping.

samiam513
11-21-2002, 07:58 PM
try to get one from the 80`s. Big, grey, and looks like a brick. I guarantee noone will trty to steal it.

I was sittin in Hooters one time, ,and was lookin at the wall and noticeed some commedian (jim carey I think) pictured in the resturant(ok candy store if you want) with a brick cell phone next to him. couldn`t help but to laugh.

C. Charles Hahn
11-21-2002, 08:18 PM
For work, we all use nextel`s as they are the only ones with the direct-connect radios, which we tend to use more than the cell "phone" part.... but if thats not a major draw for you I wouldn`t recommend them as the service stinks, its expensive, and the phones are sub-par.

johnson
11-21-2002, 10:08 PM
http://www.howardchui.com/ :D

Ive had Voicestream since last December and had really good reception and signal. Not once was I cut off. All that changed when they switched to T-Mobile. I lost reception everywhere and replaced my phone 2-3 times and get the same problems.

imported_BretFraz
11-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by FNG

http://www.howardchui.com/ :D

Interesting site. Never seen it before, thx for the link. Too bad its Canadian ;)

I gotta say, ol` Howard is one of the most unphotogenic people I`ve seen lately. I recoiled every time I saw his mug holding the latest toy. Now that he`s a big web-star, can`t he hire some hotties to model phones?

johnson
11-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Where do you see that its Canadian? Ive been a member for over a year and its a great site. I did A LOT of researching before I went with Voicestream (now T-Mobile) and a Samsung SGH-N105.

imported_BretFraz
11-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by FNG

Where do you see that its Canadian? Ive been a member for over a year and its a great site. I did A LOT of researching before I went with Voicestream (now T-Mobile) and a Samsung SGH-N105.

Click on ABOUT on the main page. Click on ADVERTISING to see where most of his visitors hail from.

Detailing NY
11-22-2002, 05:59 PM
The cell phone for me is a must.

While I am out detailing it does not stop from customers wanting to make an appt. In fact I also got a palm pilot to keep track of the appt`s while i am out on the road as you can forget very easy.

I have t-mobile service for the business. I go over the minutes everymonth, just to lazy to increase the minutes allowed.

I am also looking to get a 800# now so i can prevent people from calling my cell phone and they can go right to the 800#.

scoop
11-25-2002, 03:26 AM
I think for businesses or anyone

who`s majority of calls are incoming

they should consider nextel`s incoming plan..

all incoming calls are unlimited.

unlimited minutes for incoming calls that is..

unlimited minutes both ways after 8:30pm

and unlimited long distance...

its what I have..

Detailing NY
11-25-2002, 05:43 PM
nextel sucks for service in NY