PDA

View Full Version : Buying new Camera... help!

msmcdon
11-21-2002, 02:08 PM
I thought I`d post this here since I`m thinking about buying a 35mm SLR camera, but I`m completely lost with what is out there right now.

Basically, I`m an amateur photographer and want to upgrade from my simple Canon point-and-shoot 35mm camera. It takes okay photos, but I want to be more creative and it`s very limiting. I`m not looking for a camera that will build a nuclear reactor or anything :) ... just a nice entry-level camera with some neat features. Here are the features I want:

- Manual focus as well as auto focus

- ability to change lenses

- ability to use longer exposure times

- Used price no more than $300

Here are some cameras I found on ebay that seem to fit the bill. Are they okay?

- Canon EOS Rebel 2000 (automatic SLR) with a 28-80 lens - $250.00

- Minolta Maxxum 5 W/ 28-80 Lens Kit - $275.00

- Olympus IS-20 Zoom QD CG SLR 35mm Camera (seems all auto) - $175.00

- Nikon N50 with a 35 to 80mm AF F4 - F5.6 Nikkor zoom lens - $260.00

I`m not sure about the Olympus - it seems like it`s fully automated and does not have the ability to exchange lenses. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:D

Nagchampa
11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
The canon minolta and nikon are all very good. They are not "pro" cameras, but your pictures will look professional. You can`t go wrong with the selection you are choosing from.

There are so many tricks you can do with SLR cameras to make pictures that boggle the mind! I have an old Pentax SLR that takes amazing photos.

You can find lots of good stuff cheap on yahoo!

Mindflux
11-21-2002, 02:35 PM
I hear you on being lost, I found some good sites out there for digital camera reviews, I`m sure there are a few for SLR`s too :D

Jngrbrdman
11-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Well, the Canon A40 does most of that except for the manual focusing. You can change lenses from wide to zoom. You can change the film speed and the shutter speed as well. In addition to all that you can also record short video files with sound. You can get that camera brand new for about $250 in most places. Its a 2 MP camera and the quality is very high. I am really impressed with it. I love that it has the feature of the exchangable lenses too. It opperates on Compact Flash cards that will hold a zillion pictures if you have the right size. It uses normal AA batteries too. I can`t say enough good things about this camera.

laynlow
11-21-2002, 09:16 PM
The Canon Rebel is hard to beat for an entry level 35mm SLR. You can still use the full line of Canon flashes and lenses, but the body won`t break the bank. It has all of the exposure options that you are looking for.

As far as the focus goes, the control for manual focus is located on the lens itself. That will mean you need to choose your lenses carefully. I believe most of the Canon lenses have a manual option, I don`t know about the aftermarket. There are also numerous options on the auto focus drive motors. Some lenses are faster than others or less noisy, etc.

imported_vr6veedub
11-21-2002, 09:26 PM
try taking a look at the nikon n65 or n65 great cams

johnson
11-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Ive got the Minolta Maxxium 3xi sitting right in front of me but dont have any batteries or film to test it out.

msmcdon
12-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Just an update for those of you interested.... I got the Canon EOS Rebel G for $225. It should be waiting for me at home unless the UPS guy didn`t deliver like he was supposed to! I`ll take some shots of the vehicles soon and post them...

- Canon EOS 35-80mm lens

- neck strap

- body cap

- lens cap

- owner`s manual

- aftermarket carring case

thevolvoguy
12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
I say go with the Cannon Rebel. I personally use one for school, and even the developer commented on the quality of the prints.

I don`t think it can be beat for the $.

I have been buying most of my electronics from ebay... not the best customer support, but you can find some dang good deals.

Just a thought. :nixweiss

msmcdon
12-02-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

I say go with the Cannon Rebel.

I DID go with the Canon! It`s actually the same camera that we have here at work for taking photos, so I am familiar with it. I can`t wait!

Stealthman
05-02-2003, 12:57 AM
You made a good choice. I was a Photographer for 12 years and got the first rebel and each time a new one came out I up graded.

Ben Carufel
05-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Wow, old thread alert :).