PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has some more questions..

savas
11-21-2002, 01:27 PM
I just ordered a PC from coastal, I want to make sure I have my steps right.. This is a 1990 Red corvette w/cleacoat (Its a bit hazy)

1) Wash with DAWN

2) Clay bar

3) plan on using 3M`s SMR w/ the porter cable on the whole car

(What type of pad is the best to use with SMR? Are there course ratings on pads?)

4) Wash car again with DAWN

5) Zaino Z5, Z6, Z2 , Z6, etc....

What do you think??

-Bill

teacher321
11-21-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by bans25

4) Wash car again with DAWN

I wouldn`t wash it again with Dawn. The first wash with Dawn would be enough to remove any carnuba or silicone product that is already on the car. Anything else you have on there will be taken car of by the clay bar and the SMR. Use Zanio Z-7 car wash instead.

savas
11-21-2002, 01:50 PM
I thought that SMR had some wax, or oils in it?

imported_BretFraz
11-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes, defintely do a second wash. Using Dawn is fine but so is Z7 if you prefer.

There are oils and fillers in SMR that need to be removed prior to Zainoing.

Depending on the condition of the paint you might consider using the yellow cutting pad with the SMR. That combo works well for most folks. But feel free to experiment with both pads if you like. SMR is mild stuff so sometimes a more aggressive pad is needed to get the job done efficiently. Otherwise you are buffing for hours and hours to get results.

Make sure to work in the SMR completely till there`s almost no residue to wipe off. Work small sections, keep the speeds high (4-6).

Happy buffing! :)

Sharkie
11-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Some Autopians follow 3M SMR with Z and don’t have any bonding issues. I like to Dawn wash before the initial coat of Zaino and I would just use a regular car shampoo for the first wash. In any event no need for 2 Dawn washes.

Adam