PDA

View Full Version : My weekend plan with new PC

jrush
11-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Not to beat a dead horse of a subject, just want to make sure my plans are ok using the new PC with SMR. I have been using Zaino but welcome suggestions. Z has worked well but my car seems to get so dusty so fast. It`s a dark blue black metalic grand prix, 7 months old.

1) wash car with dawn to remove old Z and everything else.

2) while car is still wet (and early in the morning when it won`t dry and spot), clay entire car with Z7 as lube.

3) wash car with Z7 or maybe 3M shampoo and dry.

4) use PC with white pad to apply SMR to entire car.

5) go over with gray finishing pad to remove residue and compliment finish.

6) wash car again and dry

7) Z6 before and in between 1 cote of Z5 with ZFX, 2 coats of Z2 with ZFX.

8) crack a six pack and enjoy shine.

My biggest concerns/questions are should I even do step 5, or just wash. I don`t want to SMR and then add swirls back to it.

If I decide to switch polish/wax, what should I go with? Would like to convert to something I can get at Pep Boys or Kragen, Napa, Etc. Something that keeps the dust off better than Z.

Thanks!!

imported_Aurora40
11-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Regarding step 5. A grey finishing pad (or any color finishing pad) is meant to apply a finishing-type product like a wax or sealant. It isn`t for buffing off product. You want to buff SMR residue with a towel (terry or MF). The finishing pad would be used if you wanted to apply Z5 or Z2 or something by machine.

I also wouldn`t wash the first time with Dawn. Just wash the car with car wash. All you are trying to accomplish is to clean the surface. Car wash will do that. Any Z that is on the paint will get taken care of by the SMR or clay. Then clay, and wash again (if you feel it`s necessary). Then apply the SMR. After that, I guess you need to Dawn wash because that is what Zaino recommends for prep.

I personally have never felt a need to wash a car a second time after claying. If you are careful, you won`t leave any clay streaks. And if you do, you`ll need to rub them out with a towel and some QD. I don`t think a washing would really remove that stuff. Plus, you are going to SMR next anyway. If there were some microscopic clay that you couldn`t remove with a towel, but which washing would somehow take care of (which I can`t imagine), the SMR will make short work of it. This way you only have to wash your car twice.

imported_BretFraz
11-21-2002, 02:03 PM
I`d skip Step 3 as the SMR step will remove any residue left from claying.

I`d use a yellow cutting pad with SMR instead. The white polishing pad is too soft for my tastes. But feel free to experiment in order to get the results you want.

I`ds skip Step 5 and just wipe down the car with a MF and a little QD.

Personally, I don`t think there are any products at auto parts stores that are worth a rip. Well, maybe Meguiar`s #20 if you can find it. I`ve always liked Meguiar`s Medallion but I haven`t used it in years so I can`t speak to dusting. You might want to do some searching here about dusting and Blackfire, Platinum, Klasse, and others to find a product that will work for you.

jrush
11-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will skip step 5 and use a MF towel instead.

so, I should wash the car after SMR? Washing won`t get rid of the SMR will it? Is there residues in the SMR that will prevent Z from bonding to the finish?

Also, is Z applied by a PC with finishing pad ok? Sure would save some time.

imported_BretFraz
11-21-2002, 02:07 PM
Yes, wash after SMR if applying Zaino.

Some folks have used a PC to apply Z with good results. Do a Search on the topic and read the threads. There`s been plenty of discussion in the past.

jrush
11-22-2002, 11:46 AM
So does applying Zaino with a gray finishing pad make a differance? I might want to try it but I have a few questions;

Do I just apply it without letting it dry, then use a MF afterwards, or do I apply it and keep polishing with the PC till it drys and is gone?

In the Z directions it states that it should be applied in a horizontal fasion of the top surfaces and vertical on side panels. Witht he PC will it create swirls or obstruct clarity?

Thanks!

imported_Intermezzo
11-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by jrush

So does applying Zaino with a gray finishing pad make a differance? I might want to try it but I have a few questions;

Although you`ll use a little bit more product in the beginning because you have to prime the pad, it`ll allow for thinner applications and you`ll end up saving product if you do three coats. I use a beige finishing pad by Meguiar`s and it works fine. I`m sure CMA`s grey pad will too.

Do I just apply it without letting it dry, then use a MF afterwards, or do I apply it and keep polishing with the PC till it drys and is gone?

Apply a thin layer to the entire car, let it dry and then wipe off with a MF or cotton towel.

In the Z directions it states that it should be applied in a horizontal fasion of the top surfaces and vertical on side panels. Witht he PC will it create swirls or obstruct clarity?

Thanks!

No...you`ll be fine. Click the link below. It`s a thread written by one of Autopia`s finest! :D

Zaino by machine?...Yes!! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10708)