PDA

View Full Version : Repairing paint chips

Rowani
11-20-2002, 10:43 PM
My wife`s black car looks great after the Klasse/S100 treatment except for those annoying paint chips on the hood :mad: . I read the chapter on chip repair in Davids book and am tempted to give it a try. However, being a amateur I`m intimidated by the thought of wet sanding the finish etc. How hard is the process and is it realistic for a motivated amateur to give it a try? Thanks.

KSCobra46
11-21-2002, 09:49 AM
I used Davids repair process when fixing the chips in the hood of my car and had great results. The only changes I made to the process was to sand the paint blobs using a very fine compound instead of water for lubrication. The compound came in a Plastic-Kote paint chip repair kit from Pep Boys. It seemed to work better than wet sanding with water. The whole process was not too difficult, just take your time and get some real good lights so you can easily see what you`re doing. Be patient and those chips will be gone in no time. Good Luck!

thegeek
11-21-2002, 11:16 AM
You could do that process or there`s a company Aero Colours that airbrushes chips perfectly. Thats what I`m going to do.

KSCobra46
11-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Airbrushing would be great, but if done right you can repair small chips yourself and nobody will be able top tell.

ashsarna
11-21-2002, 05:02 PM
You can use the langka method, worked great for me. Good for preventing any messups.

Rowani
11-21-2002, 05:46 PM
Ashsarna,

What`s the langka method?

Rick

thegeek
11-21-2002, 07:04 PM
www.langka.com

ashsarna
11-22-2002, 09:57 AM
94accordsedanex has given the link. I think that you will appreciate it. This is not a miracle drug, but an excellent product to use as an alternative to sanding (I personally would try to not sand, if done wrong will affect your "good" paint job around the chip). Using Langka, you do not have to worry about the touch up paint overflowing onto the rest of the surrounding area (it is easy to use, but may take a little practice). The guys at langka will give you suggestions of use when you buy from them. :)