PDA

View Full Version : Water spots on rubber/plastic

imported_Greg
11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
I have some water spots on the rubber trim below the windows. 303 did not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

imported_BretFraz
11-20-2002, 02:17 PM
If it`s what I think it is, those spots were caused by acid rain. No amount of protectant will cover this up. You can experiment with mild abrasives to take off a thin layer of rubber but be careful with plastics as abrasives will stain or permanently marr.

There`s no easy solution I know of short of replacing the parts. Hopefully someone else has other ideas.

imported_Greg
11-20-2002, 04:47 PM
Hmmm... not good news... I wonder if something like EF High Intensity cleaner might do it? Or would it be damaging to the rubber...

CharlesW
11-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Would AIO work for this? Mildly abrasive, cleaning action and doesn`t stain the trim when I use it on my vehicles.

Charles

Brad B
11-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Dip a foam applicator in a solution of 50/50 water-vinegar. The acid usually cuts through the water spotting and does the job.

It will also remove wax so keep it on the trim. Or rewax spots where you get sloppy. Re-dress with rubber dressing afterwards.

imported_Greg
11-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Brad... thanks. I`ll give it a try and post results.

dukman5924
11-21-2002, 10:35 AM
What do people here think of Mother`s Back-to-Black? (newbie here, in case you didn`t notice)

PerfectionDetailing
11-23-2002, 01:47 AM
The black rubber trim on the outside of my Boxster always shows water spots. I tried back to black, vinylex, and a meguiars vinyl cleaner and none worked. Then I used some meguiars endurance tire shine and it worked great. I use the regular one for the rubber moulding and the shiny one for the tires.

imported_Greg
11-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Lapis... doesn`t the endurance just mask the spots and not remove them?

PerfectionDetailing
11-24-2002, 04:41 AM
Well, I rub the endurance in real well. To me it looks as if the spots are gone. New ones form though when it is rained on or wet again. The endurance does seem to remove them because I wipe it off completely. Give it a try if you have some.

Would it matter if they were just being masked?

masterfinish
11-24-2002, 03:20 PM
To repair damage caused by water spotting on the black trim use a product called ETR fron Automotive International. You can find them on the web at www.autoint.com. Their product is a permanent fix. There are 3 parts in the kit. A cleaner and prep that you wipe allthe affected area with. Then you apply the color with a small foam applicator. Third you wipe a final finish/protective coating on. In additional to the standard black there is a bottle of white toner so you can lighten the colr for trim that is more of a gray. Last time purchased it was very reasonable and a very small amount goes a very long way

We use this in our shop on a regular basis and can charge an additional $30.00 to $40.00 for correcting faded, or discolored trim. testing on the product was by Mazda Motors on which the results were that the repair trim parts held their black color longer than the original parts. The testing was over a five year period.

Tom