PDA

View Full Version : wax and clay

nate010753
11-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Is it necessary to remove the wax before claying. Or will it simply make it easier? Also can anyone reccommend a good wax remover if in fact I have to go that route. thanks!

Kleanride
11-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi

I think I speak for the panel when I say a Dawn wash is in order. I would recommend a Dawn wash, then clay, then Dawn wash again to get the crap the clay may leave behind off.

Followed by:

Cleaner

Sealant/Polish

Carnauba

Pictures

nate010753
11-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Got it ! Dawn it is then. what is it about Dawn that totally strips wax? Hmm can I run my plan past you Dale:

I was going to

Wash with Dawn to get rid of old wax

Clay the car

Now use either a DACP by hand or a #9 to clean paint

rewash with Dawn to get rid of any residual residue from clay and cleaner.

Then either a BF polish or a #7 still not sure which one.

Then BF paint protectant

Then a coat of S100

what do you think? Specifically about the DACP or the #9?

mrdetailer
11-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Dawn may take it off. However, 3M Adhesive, Tar and Sap Remover only costs about $4 at Walmart. It strips off both wax and sealants safely, and leaves a surface that is easier to clay. There are many other clear coat surface preps that can be found at a store that carries auto painting supplies like Kleen Strip Surface Prep that are even less expensive.

If you still have wax on the surface, it fills up the clay bar quickly and reduces its efficiency.

Kleanride
11-19-2002, 12:58 PM
That all sounds good! You can rewash with Dawn after the clay and before the cleaner...thats historically what I do and have great results with it. I guess I don`t see the harm in dawn wash after the cleaner...I never really thought about it before.

As far as #9 goes, my experience with it is pretty slim. I think I used it once a number of years ago. I know that people like it on the forum....go to the review page and check it out...or someone else will reply to this I am sure. DACP=same

Dawn is a mild dishsoap...there was a post on this recently..run a search on it. I believe it is the most mild yet effective dishsoap available.

nate010753
11-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on what a good paint cleaner would be? The paint is not is such terrible shape that I need the abrasive DACP. But I am thinking a #9 SMR. However that doesn`t seem like a real paint cleaner? There is a Mequires #6 that seems to be a cleaner but if I can use a #9 then I think that would better serve me.

Mitchsdiamonddetail
11-19-2002, 05:41 PM
dawn? you mean to use the dishwashing liquid dawn or what...

imported_BretFraz
11-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Here`s my rule of thumb re: second washes - -

If you are going to use a polymer sealant after all the polishing is done then do a rewash. This second wash removes all the oils and fillers from the polishes and preps the surface for complete bonding of the sealant.

If you are staying the carnauba route I see no benefit of an additional wash unless you made a total mess of the car. Since all the products you will use are solvent-based there are no bonding problems to deal with.

A second wash right after claying is totally silly and a complete waste of time. The residue left from claying is miniscule compared to the stuff left from polishing.

Big Bub - Yes, the dishwashing detergent. Specifically the blue colored Dawn that does not include skin softeners or excessive fragrances. Do a SEARCH for Dawn and you will find many posts discussing it.