PDA

View Full Version : Got My Rotary Today

Pages : [1] 2

Nagchampa
11-18-2002, 10:07 PM
I finally got my rotary that I ordered from eBay. Its a Dewalt DW849. It came with two foam pads (medium compounding and finishing) Velcro and rubber backing plates, and instruction manual. The seller said it was only used once and I believe him because the thing looked almost brand new.

I ordered it over a month ago, and had it delivered to my aunt`s house across the US border to save some $ on shipping, broker fees and the like. She was to bring it with her on her weekly trip to Toronto but forgot it 3 weeks straight. My wife said F--- it and went over to pick it up herself.

I plan on having more children in the future, so I will stay away from my wifes new SUV. I have plenty of family members with neglected vehicles though so I will have lots of test space. ;)

Best part of it is I only paid $153 + $13 shipping.

Tomorrow I will pick up some compound, polish, and a couple more pads. I will try to take some pics.

msmcdon
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Awesome... can`t wait to see those pics! Once I get mine, my old Ranger will be my test vehicle! Have fun!

:up

imported_Intel486
11-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Yep, I too learned the rotary by using it on my truck and on the neighbhor`s vehicles :D

Nagchampa
11-19-2002, 06:51 PM
If I can get a break from this rain this weekend, I am going to do my brothers `97 Caravan.

I will definitely have to clay that sucker. I ran my finger on the roof to feel the surface and it felt like #400 grit paper.

The deal I gave him is, he buys the clay, medium and fine compound(3M), and I supply the labour and everything else. He could care less about burn marks etc, and I don`t expect him to maintain the finish so I will be taking pictures before and after. :rolleyes:

BTW this van has never been polished or waxed since new. I think I will get some #20. (no product is too good for someone who is astounded that the dealer applied paint sealant does NOT last 6 years)

:confused:

imported_Intel486
11-19-2002, 10:41 PM
Make sure to tape up trim on the van. I use 7-day release painters tape. It is the blue tape you can get at places that sell house paint. The buffer will fling stuff off everywhere and if you hit trim, then it`ll really work the polish in and stain it. You can also use Wet Towels to lay over trim to keep splatter off it. (I use wet so incase the buffer hits a corner it doesn`t throw the whole towel. Well, not wet, more like damp towels.

msmcdon
11-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

Make sure to tape up trim on the van. I use 7-day release painters tape. It is the blue tape you can get at places that sell house paint. The buffer will fling stuff off everywhere and if you hit trim, then it`ll really work the polish in and stain it. You can also use Wet Towels to lay over trim to keep splatter off it. (I use wet so incase the buffer hits a corner it doesn`t throw the whole towel. Well, not wet, more like damp towels.

Hey Intel....

How much time do you spend taping and covering trim before you go to work with your rotary? Just curious about what I should expect.

imported_Intel486
11-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Awhile :) Probably between 5 - 10 mins. Better than having the scrub spin-off off the trim or having to clean off buffer marks from the trim.

Detailing NY
11-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Intel is correct

Be sure to tape off the trim on the vehicle. The rotary is very powerful. If the vehicle has an external antenna remove that as well and tape if off. Fold the mirrors in.

You want to be sure you have room to move around. I have been using the rotary for years. It will take some time to get used to it.

Never go at a fast level, I never go past speed 3 which is around 1500 rpm. Never use the edges of the pad.

Keep the rotary moving, dont stand in one place, you will burn the paint or swirl the paint.

When you are done with the rotary take a floresent light and look close, see if you made any swirls. If so use 3m smr to remove them.

Need any other help let us know

NYD

Nagchampa
11-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I probably would have found about that antenna thing the hard way.:) I have some autobody masking tape that should be good for the trim. How many of each type of pads do you guys keep around?

Detailing NY
11-21-2002, 03:42 PM
I always have at least 3 of the same pad around. You never know what can happen to the pads.

Nagchampa
12-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Here is a pic of my stuff!

imported_Intel486
12-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Nice machine there.

Have you gotten a chance to try it out yet?

Nagchampa
12-01-2002, 03:41 PM
I am waiting for my brother to buy my compound as he promised. (you know how it is waiting for family to pay for something) If the weather is not as cold next weekend, I will do my Dads garage kept `89 Corsica which is in great shape despite never being waxed before.

B.T.W. My wife told me to not bother looking at her truck for practice!:nixweiss

imported_Intel486
12-01-2002, 06:54 PM
What kind of compound is he getting you?

I`ve used Pro`s DUZ-all for a long time. It is more of a cleaner than a polish but can cut through 2000 grit sandpaper marks.

I`ve started to use Pro`s Creamy Cutter. It is great! Heavy Oxidation, Sandpaper Marks, Key scratches, and those dreaded spiderweb marks can all be worked out with this stuff. Scratches on dark colored cars, which can have that white look to them and be buffed so the whiteness comes out of the scratch helping to hide deep scratches. I love this stuff.

It has to be part of a 2 step process as it leaves lots of oil on the paint so you`ll want to either use a polish ontop of it or wax right away. It doesn`t haze the paint at all like DUZ-all will.

jerry@robs
12-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I always have at least 3 of the same pad around. You never know what can happen to the pads.

How true... I have 2 W7000, 2 W8000, 1 W9000 pads... just ordered another pair of W8000 just for good measure...