PDA

View Full Version : Race car help

membim
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey guys quick question. My buddy has 9 second Mustang that slings (cakes) rubber all over the rear quarter panel and bumper. Would it harm the paint if we coated Vaseline on these panels to make the removal of rubber build up easier?

Also, we have been using WD-40 to remove the rubber build up. Is this causing long term damage to the paint?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

EBPcivicsi
07-26-2004, 10:59 AM
PP works great for removing the rubber. I doubt the WD-40 would do long term damage, but who knows.

Not sure about the vaseline.

dr_detail
07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Vaseline might be better than WD-40. WD-40 contains a high concentration of silicone which, if the vehicle ever needs to be re-painted, will create problems. I might suggest using Kerosene -- it will remove the tire gum, will not damage the paint, and will wash off with soap and water -- then apply a good coat of wax before each race. Another option might be to use a Kerosene based express wax type product -- it will remove the tire gum, and leave behind a waxed finish. Many SCCA racers will coat their aluminum rims with Vaseline which gives them the sheen of being polished, yet keeps the hot brake dust from sticking. I`ve never heard of using it on paint though, maybe some of those out here who have some professional painting experience will comment on it`s usage.

Intel486
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
They have stuff made for that. I can`t think of the name of it though.

One guy at our track w/ an 8 second truck has a shelf full of the stuff. I think I`ve seen it in Thunder Racing before also.

red98gt
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Here`s another idea. never used them so no idea how well they work.......

http://www.psmbuick.com/products/web_sg.html

or here is "Burn-out Gard" spray it on before racing.

http://www.geddex.com/

membim
07-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Intel486-I know what you`re talking about. He uses that stuff and it just doesn`t work that well. I think it`s called Gedix Burnout Guard.

red98gt
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
if you can`t find it locally, JEGS and SUMMIT both carry it.

Do a search under Geddex.........

rollman
07-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Clean up the area and apply some 3m clear film. It will make furture cleanups easier. But yeah a tiny coating of vaseline will work.

NattyBumppo
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Poorboy should be able to help out on this one. He used to detail race cars if I remember correctly.

I use WD40 to remove all manner of stuff from paint. Works great and I`ve never seen any ill effects. Still, what Dr_Detail said about future painting could be an issue if the paint shop doesn`t do a thorough prep job.

optik
07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
PAM :P

Poorboy
07-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I sell PP to the Porsche and Ferrari vintage race teams among others, for the purpose of safely removing rubber and road residue from their paint and their sponsors logos..

NattyBumppo
07-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
I sell PP to the Porsche and Ferrari vintage race teams among others, for the purpose of safely removing rubber and road residue from their paint and their sponsors logos..

I knew you had a solution :mohawk

grisby
07-27-2004, 01:48 PM
membim, the "burnout buddies" (nickname given to them at the track) that red98gt gave you the link to(psmbuick) works real well. If he wants to try something cheaper, have him spray Pledge furniture polish on his rear quarters before he does his burnout. Then after the race, just spray some more pledge on and it will remove the rubber buildup. NOw, if he really does a massive burnout-well he will have to rub a little harder!!! Works for me anyway.

HTH
bill g

membim
07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your help!