PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Meguiar`s Pro carwash shampoo? Is my idea crazy?

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 11:49 AM
I am specifically thinking about trying #62 Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner. It sounds like the more appropriate product than #00 Hi-Tech Wash.

#00 sounds like it is specifically for washing a car prior or while doing paint work. It also sounds like it is a bit too gentle for everyday washing. #62 sounds basically like the Pro version of Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner. Part of it`s description is "The ideal product to safely maintain any vehicle after it`s been waxed and detailed", which basically describes exactly what I want it to be able to do.

The reason I`ve been thinking about it over GC (they cost about the same per volume, but #62 is only by the gallon while GC goes up to a 1/2 gallon) is because I got to thinking about the silicones and such in the consumer QD that aren`t in #34 FI. Ok, maybe it`s a stretch, but I started thinking about how #34 is safer to use on new paint and such and how it`s safe in paint shops because it won`t prevent paint from bonding, and I started wondering if the same stuff that causes problems for paint shops may cause similar problems for product layering. I mean, do the shiny oils left behind by GC and Quik Detailer make it harder for that next coat of SG to stay on the previous coat? Would #34 be better since it doesn`t leave the same stuff? #34 and #62 (and #00) are all paint-shop safe, while GC wash and Quik Det. aren`t.

So that`s why I thought maybe I`d try #62 instead of GC wash. A 1/2 gallon of GC is about $10 and a full gallon of #62 is about $22. If the #62 sucks, though, It`ll take me a hell of a long time to use it up... Does this layering idea seem stupid? I doubt that the oils left behind by GC or Pinnacle or other high-shine washes really cause much problem, but maybe #62 would be just a tad better for that next coat of protectant... What do you think?

imported_BretFraz
11-18-2002, 12:50 PM
I think I have a headache.....:confused:

OK, it seems to me that you are concerned for some reason about silicones and the like interfering with layering of SG. You are probably on to something about that. I can`t speak to SG in particular as I don`t know the product but it would be wise to read posts about SG bonding and talk to people who are very familiar with it in order to determine if ingredients in QD or car shampoos would prevent SG from bonding properly. That`s #1.

#2, if the above is truly your concern then your idea of using #62 is in conflict. #62 has ingredients added to it that provides a little protection and slickness to the paint, post-wash. #62 appeals mostly to high volume users like pro detailers, hand car wash businesses, and the like. If you want a shampoo that does not have ingredients that would interfere with SG bonding, why on Earth would you use #62?

#00 is far better for regular washing than #62 for the average enthusiast. You`re right, it is a mild product that produces excellent suds and offers great lubricity. I don`t know the pH level but you could always ask Meguiar`s and compare #00 to other car washes.

Your post contradicted itself because you start by stating you want a shampoo that has a conditioner to boost shine & protection (#62) , then you state you do not want anything to interfere with adding layers of SG. So decide what you really want and buy the shampoo that provides that.

I`m gonna go lay on the couch now.......;)

VetteToVair
11-18-2002, 01:38 PM
a full gallon of GC is $10. where did you get your pricing???

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Yes, that is what I meant. I guess I didn`t phrase it so well. I wonder if the oils and silicones left behind after most car washes can interfere some with applying protectants to the surface. Not just SG, but any protectant. I just used SG as an example because it requires a day between coats, so that often means the car must be washed between coats. I also wonder if the same is true of QD`s and that`s what got me thinking about it in the first place. It may be that it doesn`t matter or that the solvents and such in protectants just remove whatever is left so it doesn`t interfere. It just popped in my mind. Also, for every consumer Meguiar`s product I used to like, I`ve found the Pro product to be better. So I started wondering if maybe I only like GC shampoo because I never tried the Pro stuff. So I`m curious about trying it even if the bonding thing is a non-issue.

I will be using the shampoo all the time,not just when layering, so it would be nice if it brightened up the shine. And #62 manages to do so while still being paintable. So I would guess it won`t interfere as much as Gold Class would. And also, it needs to be tough enough for washing a daily driver. It just doesn`t sound like #00 is up to, nor made for, that task. I`m not overly concerned with this, it`s just something that popped into my head. I thought #62 might be friendlier to subsequent coats than GC is. But I don`t want a weak car wash like #00 if that`s what it would take. I`m not that concerned. Where do you see that #62 adds protection? If it in fact does, then that would rule it out for me. The description I have in their Product Guide says:

- Ultra high foaming, non-streaking, pH balanced formula

- Free-rinsing conditioning agents and paint nutrients provide sparkling streak-free results

- The ideal product to safely maintain any vehicle after it`s been waxed and detailed

- Safe for use in the paint shop

Also, I`d think if it left some protection or residue, it wouldn`t be safe for the paint shop. None of Meguiar`s Pro protectant products are listed as paint shop safe.

I guess I could try using GC for regular washes, and #00 while I`m still layering protectants, but I don`t really want to do that. Besides, you never know when you`re gonna wanna slap on some more protectant.

The description for #00 is:

- Foams away dirt and grime

- Detergent free to guarantee gentle cleansing, without stripping away protection and gloss

- Perfect lubricant for use with Unigrit sanding products - simply add to the water

- Safe for use in the paint shop

and their website description:

Astute car collectors and highly particular professional detailers named this their product of choice for gentle washing action. Just a few precious drops of this detergent-free formula will guard your carefully prepared finish with the safest wash you can possibly find. Pros will find Hi-Tech Wash indispensable for serious restoration projects

It just sounds too gentle for daily drivers. Reading between the lines, I`d say the use of "gentle" and "detergent free" and "safest wash" are code for it being meant to wash off garage dust and such, not road grime. Why do you think #00 is better for the average enthusiast? Do you have experience with it? It really sounds like it wouldn`t work as well as Gold Class, which is reasonably popular with enthusiasts here. So, provided #62 doesn`t leave protection behind, it sounds like it would provide a similar wash experience, and similar cost, to Gold Class wash while perhaps leaving the surface better prepared for another coat of protectant. Thanks for the response, and sorry for causing a headache.

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

a full gallon of GC is $10. where did you get your pricing???

A 1/2 gallon. GC doesn`t come in full gallon sizes. The #62 is a full gallon for $22.

VetteToVair
11-18-2002, 02:07 PM
are we both talking about meguiars gold class car wash shampoo & conditioner? 1 gallon = $9.99. i promise - i`m looking at it right now. are we talking about the same thing?

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 02:15 PM
64 oz of Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner for $10 right? That`s 1 half of a gallon, not a gallon. One gallon is 128 fluid ounces. ;)

VetteToVair
11-18-2002, 02:20 PM
mine says 1 gallon, 128 ounces, 3.78 liters. i think i got it at target. i know a million other people here have bought. chime in guys and set us straight. my meguiars holiday 2002 catalog also says 1 gallon for 9.99. i just checked the website and that says 14.99 for a gallon. not sure why they are inconsistent?

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Actually, my mistake. They do make a gallon of it. It`s listed as $15.99 on Meguiar`s website. Sorry about that... :o

$10 at Target, ehh... Well, if the #62 is twice as expensive... I don`t know. Maybe I`ll stick with GC. Still, I`d like to hear opinions and such!

imported_Intermezzo
11-18-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

mine says 1 gallon, 128 ounces, 3.78 liters. i think i got it at target. i know a million other people here have bought. chime in guys and set us straight.

Stanger, I don`t know what you`re talking about..

Hehe, j/k. Yes, Target sells gallon bottles of MGC for around 10 bucks.

Redcar GUY
11-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Hehe, j/k. Yes, Target sells gallon bottles of MGC for around 10 bucks.

I Just ran out to garage to make sure I had the 1 gal:) I also got mine at Target:xyxthumbs

imported_BretFraz
11-18-2002, 02:33 PM
I`ve used gallons and gallons of #00 over the years. It`s a great product. I think for the enthusiast (like us) who wants a high quality shampoo for their cars, #00 is excellent. And so are several other shampoos.

I don`t know exactly what`s in #62 but there has got to be something in it to provide, "Free-rinsing conditioning agents and paint nutrients provide sparkling streak-free results." To me, agents and nutirents mean some ingredient(s) that leave a coating on the paint which creates the "streak-free results". It sounds just like a hair shampoo that has a conditioner in it, like Pert. Is that what you want to wash your car with?

Frankly, I think the diffs between most car shampoos are minor except for ones that include some kind of wax or protectant. If the GC is working for you I don`t see the reason to change unless you want to play with something else. A whole gallon of #62 makes for an expensive experiment. But who am I to judge? I have shampoos from Blackfire, Platinum, P21S, Zaino, Eagle One, and Finish First in my inventory. Not to mention a couple small samples of other brands. I`ve got enough shampoo to last me years and years.

Maybe if someone else has #62 you can trade for samples? Whatever you do, let us know how it works out. I`ll be curious to know.

- - Bret - -

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I`ve used gallons and gallons of #00 over the years. It`s a great product. I think for the enthusiast (like us) who wants a high quality shampoo for their cars, #00 is excellent. And so are several other shampoos.

Oh, ok. I didn`t know if you`d used it. Well, if it does cut the mustard for washing daily-driver crud, then maybe I`ll give it a try. As you said, it would be a cheaper experiment than the #62.

I see how the description hints at stuff being left behind. But it does call the agents and nutrients "free-rinsing". I guess I could call the tech support, but I don`t really see how that will clear anything up... ;) (ok, now I`m interjecting cheap-shots at Meg`s...) Maybe I`ll pick up a bottle of #00 and then someday I`ll give the #62 a try too. Although, I didn`t realize GC was so cheap. I always got the 16 oz. bottle, which is the same list price as #00. And I`ve never experienced any sort of "bonding" problems with GC, it`s just something I started thinking about. Thanks for the help, and for sharing your experience with #00.

And thanks all for the numerous responses about how GC comes in a gallon container... :rolleyes: :)