PDA

View Full Version : 50th anniv. Vette paint cure time?

StLB5
11-18-2002, 10:19 AM
I know I asked a general question regarding new vehicle paint cure time before applying wax/sealant. The answer I got was that "most" vehicles` paint is cured by the time it gets to the showroom. My father-in-law just got a new 50th anniversary vette and I`m going to clay and seal it over Thanksgiving. I just wanted to check that this vette falls into the "most" vehicle catagory and that the paint has cured.

C. Charles Hahn
11-18-2002, 11:12 AM
search for posts on this topic as well as my answer as we have discussed this before.

Be Warned, the paint on the 50th`s is extremely thin and soft as compaired to most vehicles. It IS fully cured, its just really soft. The clearcoat is easy to scratch up and cause swirls on so be REALLY CAREFUL with what you do to the vehicle. I`m not saying don`t do anything - by all means do, just take extra care as if you were detailing a classic car. (well, it is a modern classic/collector car, so..) but most of all have fun with it! :xyxthumbs

50th yr
11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
As was stated. Be extra careful. I received one of the first phase 1 50th`s about 3 months ago and I can assure you this finish is like no other. I sometimes think if I breath on it I will leave swirls. By now you must know the difference with the finish in bright sun compared to shade. Good Luck.

Ron

StLB5
11-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I found the other thread and went to the 50th registry and read a few over there. I plan on taking some clay, some SMR (just in case the local dealer "detailed" it before delivery) and my Z. I`ll try and snap some pictures.