PDA

View Full Version : Another clay convert...!

imported_mmdetail
11-17-2002, 09:06 PM
I`ve read other`s posts on the benefits of using clay, but I never have tried it myself until today. I just bought a used 1997 silver BMW 740il and decided to give the clay a try. Here`s what I did:

1. Wash with MF mitt and Blackfire suds

2. Dry

3. Clay with pinnacle clay and lubricant (wipe clean with MF towl)

4. Blackfire polish

5. Blackfire wax

6. Blackfire gloss spray (yes, lotsa BF - mainly for my other dark car)

7. Misc details (windows, trim, etc.)

I have to echo what others have said on this forum. The clay took this very rough feeling car and made the finish feel VERY smooth. Count me a convert to the clay. And it was very easy to do with the pinnacle products.

Redcar GUY
11-17-2002, 09:20 PM
good to hear:) I love Clay:xyxthumbs

chris0626
11-18-2002, 02:34 PM
I`ve been remiss about making a similar post. I too am a newbie to Autopia and the wonderfully anal world of detailing. Bought a 1975 Jaguar XJ6 couple in late July, and a Jag colleague soon told me about Autopia ... so I`ve been lurking here since then, downloaded the guide, and have read/learned what I could. It`s been a problem in my small town to find high-quality products, but I`d been using some Meguiar`s products with success.

Last month, getting the Jaguar ready for her last Coucours of the season -- and having made my first Zaino purchase (Z2, ZFX, Z6) -- I decided to go all out. Though I believed her finish was smooth/shiny, I decided -- what the heck! -- to use Mother`s clay just for the "halibut." OHMIGAWD!! All it took was that first two-foot section for me to realize my life had changed! The rest of the finish, which had seemed wonderful before, now felt like sandpaper by comparison. A friend walked in when I had merely finished claying, and thought I had used some awesome wax/polish. But no, it was just her wonderful paint being allowed to shine through.

But shucks! Since it`s been only 3 weeks since claying, and I have multiple Z2 layers ... what can I do to feel that wonderful "high" again? ... I want to hang out at intersections claying cars. ;)

Taxlady
11-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Lynn

But shucks! Since it`s been only 3 weeks since claying, and I have multiple Z2 layers ... what can I do to feel that wonderful "high" again? ... I want to hang out at intersections claying cars. ;)

LOL, I know what you mean. And Welcome to the board Lynn :wavey

How about some pics? Did you take some "before" pics?

Lowejackson
11-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Lynn

I think you are really going to like it here at Autopia. :)

schumacr

Dont forget clay can work wonders on glass as well as paint.

Steven

dimondshiner
11-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Anyone tried the Meguiars Clay and lubricant?

it`s much cheaper than the Pinnacle, I wonder what`s the difference

tia

mrdetailer
11-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by pedu

Anyone tried the Meguiars Clay and lubricant?

it`s much cheaper than the Pinnacle, I wonder what`s the difference

tia

This has advantages and disadvantages. I like it better in cooler weather because it is easier to shape and fold in. In hotter weather it starts loosing its shape (it stretches more) and has to be folded in a little more. Again this is easier than with other clays. It will clean the surface just as well as the Mothers and Eraser that I`ve tried.

chris0626
11-19-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

How about some pics? Did you take some "before" pics?

Well, doggone it, since I didn`t expect to see any difference, I didn`t bother with pix. I`ve tried a couple of times to post a photo here, but it hasn`t worked. So if anybody`s interested, I`ve put a couple of shots in the Members Gallery. http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3936&thumb=1

imported_Custom Detail
11-20-2002, 11:10 PM
How does this work.

Do you hold it in your hand like a bar of soap?

And with lubricant or soapy water rub it on the paint?

Is that it? It`s that simple?

Help....I`m thinking of trying it, but I don`t want to screw up

my paint.

W

:nixweiss

Taxlady
11-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by baltic

How does this work.

my paint.

W

:nixweiss

Yup, it`s that easy. Break or cut the clay into a few pieces. That way, if you drop it, you don`t have to throw away more than a small piece. And check it for grit to pick out. As it gets dirty, fold it so the dirt is on the inside.

Taxlady
11-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Lynn, that car is gorgeous. I want one.

shaf
11-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by baltic

How does this work.

my paint.

W

:nixweiss I don`t know about the other clays, but I think the instructions supplied with Mothers` clay kit are pretty good. Also please try the search function as many MANY people have had similar concerns. You will be able to tell if it`s working and you can always stop and check your progress. Pretty soon the process gets mindlessly simple. :xyxthumbs

imported_Custom Detail
11-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Thanks folks.....I`m gonna check it out some more.

W

chris0626
11-21-2002, 09:03 AM

Lynn, that car is gorgeous. I want one.

Aw shucks. :o Thanks!

chris0626
11-21-2002, 09:06 AM

Yup, it`s that easy. Break or cut the clay into a few pieces. That way, if you drop it, you don`t have to throw away more than a small piece. And check it for grit to pick out. As it gets dirty, fold it so the dirt is on the inside.

About the fear of dropping it and therefore having to discard it: Somebody gave me this tip: Put clean old sheets or something around the car while claying. And do it in sock-feet so you don`t track dirt onto the sheets. That way, if it falls, it`s falling onto clean sheets.

Personally, I like working with the whole bar intact -- I dunno, I think it gives me the sense I`m accomplishing more.