PDA

View Full Version : shelf life and freezing

houston_maserati_guy
11-16-2002, 07:32 PM
After reading about the virtues of S-100 wax on this board, especially that it might disappear from selves, I went out and bought a couple of the paste wax and the cleanser. I notice the info slip inside the jar says to "protect from heat and frost"

1) always kept all my car care products in the garage for the last 25 years. Think there is anything to that warning?

2) do you think these kind of products have a shelf life?

Detailing NY
11-16-2002, 07:58 PM
all products have a shelf life but s100 should last pretty long. If you are afraid of it freezing which it could do, just bring it inside the house. It is small enough to fit in a draw or something.

jcattarulla
11-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Some products actually require refrigeration, such as the high-end Zymol waxes and estate glazes.

Brad B
11-17-2002, 07:50 AM
The problem with freezing and extreme heat is that it makes it easier for the ingredients to seperate. It`s best to keep the contents in a moderate temperature setting but in all cases, shake before using. With paste waxes, it`s not as important until you start to see the oils pool at the top. That means the wax is drying out and it`s beyond saving. You can`t stir it back in with any consistency.:(

houston_maserati_guy
11-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Brad,

Thanks, that answer makes sense. For years I`ve figured most of the keep from freezing precautions on these products have related to concerns of breaking the container, and were placed there for a cover their a$$ reason by the producer.

Rich Pribyl

KLO
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
It is best to store all paint products at room temperature.

Boongie
11-17-2002, 11:46 PM
A small point to ponder...when products are shipped from the manufacturer or distributor, the trucks or trains that they are transported on are not temperature controlled. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter is a normal shipping condition. I used to work for a company that shipped chemical reagents that were temperature sensitive. Summer was not too much of a problem since the reagents could be shipped in a styrofoam cooler with an ice pack(s) thrown in. Winter was somewhat more difficult, especially when shipping to the upper Midwest or New England.

I guess my point is that short temperature extremes should hopefully not cause much of a problem with most products. Note that I said hopefully. Also, most of the products that Autopians use probably do not freeze at 32 degrees F since they are not made out of pure water and have substantial solutes in them that depress the freezing point. Sorry, the chemist in me pops out from time to time!

CharlesW
11-18-2002, 07:41 AM
The one winter when I missed bringing in a few products, caused separation of the ingredients. The items were Meguiar`s #2, #7, and #9. They did not recombine (?), and I ended up throwing them away. A friend of mine had the same experience with the cheaper Zymol.

Charles

houston_maserati_guy
11-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks. After I shifted to Zaino about 1 1/2 years ago, I gave away about two dozen various products I had accrued, but kept a few. I still have the mass market Zymol wax, and I notice it does have a keep from freezing caution on bottle. That and the S-100 wax wax are the only products I have with that precaution.