PDA

View Full Version : Removing ball point pen ink from leather

mszzpea
11-14-2002, 11:29 AM
My 3 yr. old likes to write on the leather occasionally; anyone have any tips on how to remove ink from a leather car seat? Thanks much for the tips. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge y`all bring to this site!

JW

Brad B
11-14-2002, 11:40 AM
You need a solvent to cut the ink. First try hairspray, it`s an old trick that works well if you have nothing else handy. Next use denatured alcohol. Finally, if those don`t do it, use aerosol brake parts cleaner. I have used all these methods with great success.

Soak a Q-Tip or medical swab with the solvent of choice (each one mentioned is progressively stronger) and lay the tip on the stain, push and twirl. Use several tips per area. Replace often. Then follow up with a rag. Treat the area afterwards with a leather dressing.

NOTE: it is always wise to test ANY leather for color fastness in an inconspicuous area first.

Steve @ Guru
11-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Hey Brad-

Quick question; aersol brake cleaner works on leather? That really surprises me, because unless I buy the "good" Honda Brake Cleaner, it always ends up bleaching/cracking plastic, trim, and other sensitve pieces.

Any info would be awesome - b/c if it works, I can add a new trick to my sleeve. :)

Brad B
11-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Used it for years. One of the first Concours tricks I was taught by the old pros.

Don`t use the kind of aerosol brake cleaner that "foams". That kind doesn`t work very well.

It is also a magnificent carpet cleaner. In fact, Wilton Wool carpets recommends Gumout Brand Brake Cleaner to get oil and grease stains out of their wool carpets, leather, bindings and vinyl trim.

Jaguars have tons of trim in leather and wool and it is constantly getting stained. (Have you heard the rumour that Jaguars leaked oil?;) ) and you learn what works very fast. And at the price of these leather kits, if it caused damage, we wouldn`t do it.:xyxthumbs

http://www.fototime.com/AD655460BD54BE3/standard.jpg

Steve @ Guru
11-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Sweet - that`s awesome to know. It`s amazing how one product can damage one thing, yet fix another, eh?

Thanks again!

Brad B
11-14-2002, 02:14 PM
The mysteries of science!:D

But like I said, always do a test spot!:xyxthumbs

singletond
07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
In 2002 there were postings about using aerosol brake cleaner to remove ballpoint pen ink from car leather.` Thanks Brad B etc.

`

Its 2014, just bought a can.` Worked for me.

`

dave