PDA

View Full Version : My Hi-Temp Grape Experience

TheSopranos16
07-25-2004, 10:07 PM
I used the grape tire dressing for the first time the other day. First off, let me start by saying that I DON`T like the smell. Many other people have commented that it smells good, but I disagree. But, smell isn`t very important in a tire dressing so I am not overly concerned with it. The product was very watery, which I liked. I find watery products apply easier and don`t build up in ridges or letters, and therefor they have less of a chance to sling off. I find that gel dressings have a tendency to build up and they actually sling more often. Basically, its easier to apply a nice, even coat with a more watery product. The dressing did a nice job of absorbing into the rubber. It was easy to apply and had nice low gloss sheen to it. It was a very OEM look. However, For my personal taste, I prefer a higher shine then this. Has anybody used the "Wet Look" dressing? How does it compare?

Overall I thought that the dressing was a good product, at a good price. Its not going to be my favorite dressing (which is BNB hands down) but I definately will be using it from time to time.

Intel486
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by TheSopranos16
First off, let me start by saying that I DON`T like the smell. Many other people have commented that it smells good, but I disagree.

woo hoo! Someone else who doesn`t like the smell! :-p

I agree w/ what you said about Grape Tire dressing. I like the finish it gives and it seems to last awhile. I`ve been using it on my truck since I got it (prolly a little over a month) and am really loving it. No browning and I haven`t noticed any sling off. I have driven in light rain and through puddles and the tires stay nice and black.

usdm
07-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Actually, I`m torn. I like this, I like BnB, and I am going to try out some Detailer`s Pride gel shortly. The pictures I`ve seen of the gel look like what I`ve seen with some of the ArmorAll stuff, glossy without the greasy look. We`ll see.

I don`t know what kind of grapes folks think Grape dressing smells like (maybe rotten grapes).

Smells more like some nasty ointment.

NattyBumppo
07-26-2004, 09:37 AM
I`ve not used the Grape tire dressing but usually read good things about it. BNB is also my hands down favorite. It is the one dressing that hasn`t ended up on lower body panels...even when it`s rained trhe same day I applied the dressing.

I`ve always wanted to try 4-Stars Bazooka tire dressing. Based on the quality of other 4-Star products I have a hunch their tire dressing is also top shelf.

bossplaya
07-26-2004, 10:49 AM
I`ve used the Grape dressing a few times, but it has too much of a satin sheen to it. I like a little bit more shine on my tires. I do use it on customer`s tires though because it does spread so easily and soaks in pretty good. And I agree that it`s not the best smelling stuff. You can definitely detect the grape odor, but the majority of the smell is something like a mixture of oil/gasoline. It`s quite overwhelming, especially if your vehicle is parked inside a garage.

TheSopranos16
07-26-2004, 02:53 PM
So anybody try the Wet Look dressing?

Nickc0844
07-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I have not tried wet look tire dressing. For a really classy look, I stick to Grape. If I want a wet look, without the mess, I go to Bold n` Bright.

scottabi
08-13-2004, 02:05 AM
I have the wet look dressing and I like it alot...it seems to fade to a more shiny satin(if this makes sense) look after a week or so...but it stays on very well even after it has rained a few days.

rollman
08-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I tried TOL grape stuff for the first time last week . It was late when I went to use it and I didn`t realize it was so watery , so I wore more then I got on the pad. I used a EO form wipe to apply it , I don`t know if it was the wipe or product but the pad seperated from the top. ( Not a good start) It did go on nice but I perfer a wetter look then Grape can give you .

MSLT is one of my favorites so far , I used it on my work truck tires so I`m not to concerned about it ruining my tires. ( Tires don`t last long on my truck) I get about 2- 3 days of shine from it and water beads nicely off them . Next up is BnB

hehateme
08-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Wow, thats weird. I tried grape tire dressing for the first time last week and my eo applicator separated too. I also like alittle more shine than it gives.

rollman
08-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by hehateme
Wow, thats weird. I tried grape tire dressing for the first time last week and my eo applicator separated too. I also like alittle more shine than it gives.

Hmmm ! It must have something in it that breaks down what ever glue they use on those pads. I think an old rag would work better the next time .

MattZ28
08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
I use a damp cloth. Usually I apply 3 or so layers a half hour apart to get the look I like.

thinksnow
08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
I, too, found the grape smell a little overpowering. *However,* with the number of solvents in the stuff, they must have needed to use the strongest odor possible so you wouldn`t accidentally pour it in your tank:) After it sets, I`m pretty happy with the lingering odor in the garage.

The first time I used TOL Grape was on a set of Michelin HydroEdges. WAY too shiny for my tastes. For the heck of it, I used it on the next detail (wearing Michelin X-One sneakers) and the satin finish was perfect. Go figure. I use BnB and TOL fairly interchangeably, at least until I run into another set of Hydroedges.

I transferred the ultra-watery dressing to a 2 oz. spray bottle for application to the Tire Swipe. I haven`t had any separation yet. Perhaps directly applying from the bottle allows too much product to seep into the swipe.