PDA

View Full Version : Detailing - the aftermath....

Estoril ///M
11-12-2002, 11:09 PM
There are so many stained towels that I have.... all that residue from claying the car, polish, wax,other cleaners, interior/leather, etc....

my question is, is it ok to use the same towel for waxing that I used for lets say polishing or even cleaning the leather? Of couse it all goes in the laundry, but does it matter what you use after it`s been in the laundry or is it better to use the same cloth you wax with over and over again?

Also, I have some paint residue (no clear coat) on some cloths as well. Is it OK to use this same towel on a clear-coated car or will it rub off?

I know, I know probably stupid questions... but i`m very paranoid.

PAW
11-12-2002, 11:26 PM
I`ve had some of the same questions. I seen other posts here where people have used the color of the towels to color code their usage. For example, light green for QD, dark green for interior, light blue for wax/sealant removal, dark blue for glass only. I haven`t reached that level yet. I may not. I use my towels for everything and just thrown all in the wask together. Actually I only have 5 towels and really need about 15 more. One or two of them have a slight stain from the rubber trim or a small grease stain. It`s OK for me. Badly stained towels I would save for not critical section (i.e., door jams, etc.). So, I guess it depends on your level of obsession.

jerry@robs
11-13-2002, 02:36 AM
I color code my towels...

printed terry for general areas like door jambs, trunk hinge, etc...

green/blue for polish/wax removal

pink for final buffing/QD

yellow of general drying/wiping/glass

for dressings and the like, I usually use plain terry...

they all get presoaked separately in their own bucket/tubs before being thrown into the same wash cycle... at least most of the oil/dirt have already been dislodged from the cloth`s surface.

NattyBumppo
11-13-2002, 08:08 AM
I also use a color coded system with my mf towels. I wash towels used for buffing polish and wax together, dressing towels separate, glass towels separate and QD towels separate. Glass towels usually just get hand washed in a basin.

All the MFs get washed in warm water on gentle cycle with liquid GAIN and rinsed in cold water. Machine dried on gentle cycle, low heat setting. This seems to work well as even the firwst batch of MFs I have still feel very soft to touch and have had no fraying problems.

EDIT: One last thing, don`t wash or dry cotton terry with MF. The MF will collect and hold any lint let go by the cotton terry.