PDA

View Full Version : Old vs. New Blackfire - Compatibility

SouthernBoy
11-12-2002, 03:55 PM
I`m always a sucker for new products, so I`ll likely order some new BF shortly. For those of you who have tried the new BF protectant, any advice on applying over existing "old" BF? Should I or shouldn`t I?

Also, assuming I decide to strip it all and start over, should my existing stock of BF polish be OK with the new protectant? (While I am a sucker for new stuff, I don`t want to go broke in the process.)

Decisions, decisions....:nixweiss

imported_BretFraz
11-12-2002, 06:19 PM
These are question prolly best asked of CMA as its their products. Give em a call and let us know what they say.

mrdetailer
11-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by SouthernBoy

I`m always a sucker for new products, so I`ll likely order some new BF shortly. For those of you who have tried the new BF protectant, any advice on applying over existing "old" BF? Should I or shouldn`t I?

Also, assuming I decide to strip it all and start over, should my existing stock of BF polish be OK with the new protectant? (While I am a sucker for new stuff, I don`t want to go broke in the process.)

Decisions, decisions....:nixweiss

I`ve done three applications of the New Blackfire over the old on 2 cars. I just have one word Sweet.

Well maybe a few more. It applied very easily. I see no reason to strip off the old, and it has kept its own unique characteristics of good beading and slipperiness. Still looks great. I`m going to use the old Blackfire as an undercoat until it`s gone.

jmdlat
11-12-2002, 11:18 PM
I heard good things about Blackfire....However, it says before first application, to apply a polish or cleaner before. What do you guys recommend since I have no experience with this product?

mrdetailer
11-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jrh382

I heard good things about Blackfire....However, it says before first application, to apply a polish or cleaner before. What do you guys recommend since I have no experience with this product?

Here`s my variation for the Ultimate Blackfire shine, based on I`ve seen by CMA on how Blackfire should be applied, for the Ultimate Look. (http://properautocare.com/refshinkit.html)

1. Use a wax remover to clean off the old wax if needed.

2. Use a claybar to remove embedded pollultants. They of course recommend Pinnacle clay bar, but Mothers, or Clay Magic are excellent.

I`ve found that using a PC or other orbital is much faster for steps 3, 4 and 5. Blackfire applies incredibly fast by machine.

3. Use a glaze as an undercoat. CMA recommends Meguiar`s Machine Glaze. But I used S100 Gloss Enhancing Polish on a new dark green Hyundai 3 weeks ago with fantastic results.

4. Top the glaze with either Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, or Klasse All In One Terry said Blackfire can go on top of AIO, and it is probably sturdier. I couldn`t believe the difference when I put the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish over the S100 polish. The reflection got amazingly clear. Definitely better than just using the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish alone like I did on 2 other cars.

5. Use Blackfire Paint Protectant 2 coats at least a day, but preferably a week apart give a deeper shine. Blackfire II is very concentrated. Use a dry pad and start with 4-6 small dollops. When needed add another drop or two.

6. Top with an excellent Carnauba as an optional step. They recommend their own Pinnacle but I`ve found P21S/S100 to be an excellent topper over Blackfire.

SouthernBoy
11-13-2002, 08:29 AM
I have an email out to CMA posing the same questions to them. I`ll post any response.

jmdlat
11-13-2002, 09:19 AM
I just ordered some of the Blackfire paint protectant. The durability is excellent according to that site. I need something to protect it for the winter in the fact that I will not be washing the car as much, nevermind waxing as often. If the shine is not good enough, then I`ll top it off with some good`ol #26.

Thanks guys.

SouthernBoy
11-13-2002, 01:26 PM
The changes in the All Finish Paint Protection formula were very small. We increased the amount of one polymer and reduced the amount of another. These were very small changes, in the parts per million. This did change the overall slipperiness of the finish and people like the change. Yes, it can be applied directly over the existing product.

This change only affected the All Finish Paint Protection. No other product was changed.

Terry Freiberg

Classic Motoring Acc