PDA

View Full Version : Ppcl & Aio

jw
11-11-2002, 11:32 PM
I was going to use Aio & p21s carnuba next time i detailed my car. My question is do i need to use the paint work cleanser before i use the carnuba or is that just repeating what the aio did.

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
11-12-2002, 12:28 AM
That is pretty much repeating what the AIO just did. The PPCL will help remove very light swirls. AIO doesn`t do much for swirls. You may want to use PPCL first and then AIO. PPCL over AIO won`t be as effective. I would just use the AIO if you have it.

imported_Intel486
11-12-2002, 12:38 AM
PPCL is more of a paint cleaner than anything else. I think I have the newer formula of it (doesn`t smell like oranges) and it is heavy in solvents. It does have some abrasiveness to it as it will haze the paint slightly. Maybe the solvents are causing that? I think I might try to get the MSDS sheets for it.

I would just use the AIO and then the p21S. AIO isn`t really a big swirl remover either.

dimondshiner
11-12-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by jw

I was going to use Aio & p21s carnuba next time i detailed my car. My question is do i need to use the paint work cleanser before i use the carnuba or is that just repeating what the aio did.

Thanks

Actually I have exactly the same q

I plan to use

P21S Paint Cleanser ->AIO -> P21S Wax -> Klasse Sealant Glaze

Will that do good for the car?

thanks

shaf
11-12-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by pedu

Actually I have exactly the same q

I plan to use

P21S Paint Cleanser ->AIO -> P21S Wax -> Klasse Sealant Glaze

Will that do good for the car?

thanks No, the order of the last two components are reversed. AIO is always followed by Klasse SG because it is intended to work this way and both are acrylic sealants, not waxes. If you plan on topping the Klasse with wax, I`d wait a couple days after the last SG coat first. Please try some searches on Klasse application and "topping" Klasse to find out more.

From what I`ve heard of PPCL (sounds milder than a swirl remover product) I would skip it altogether and use a swirl remover instead, which isn`t harsh at all anyway, especially when done by hand.

PS, take the time to do at least 3 coats of Klasse SG to get the best out of the system. Good luck.

eclemens
11-12-2002, 07:52 AM
This past weekend I did 3m smr, ppcl, p21s wax on my silver WRX. I just about omitted the ppcl step as I was in a hurry. I must have the new formula as well (smells nothing like oranges, smells kind of like paint). I am very glad I didn`t skip this step. It added a slickness and another level of gloss that wasn`t there after the SMR. It is also a dream to apply by PC. Work it in for a second and it virtually goes away, making it super easy to buff. JMO of course, and I`m a n00b

VV

YoSteve
11-12-2002, 04:36 PM
While AIO may clean, PPCL`s so purpose is to clean/remove. Particularly 1) old wax 2) oxidation 3) clay residue 4) SMR (or similar prep residue).

So yes if you car is brand new then PPCL might be skipped totally. But if you want it to remove stuff that you find that AIO might not, then go for that. Or you could double up on the AIO.

AIO is good prep for SG. I personally would go for the 2xAIO, 1xSG and then the next day the P21S. Clean, seal, then topcoat would work best, IMO.