PDA

View Full Version : Racing Style Pedals

jcattarulla
11-11-2002, 12:01 PM
I recently bought some aluminum and rubber "Racing Style" Pedals for my BMW 3 series, which are meant to look like the M series Pedals.

I have not installed them yet, but they seem really thin (front to back), and seem kind of flimsy. Not so sure I`d be confident slamming on the gas, brakes, or clutch with these.

Can anyone let me know if these are meant to completely replace my old pedals, of if they are meant to be just a new "face plate" on top of the old ones?

Thanks!

John

Lowejackson
11-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Sounds like they go on top of your current peddles. BTW whats wrong with the original ones?

Steven

Jademonkey
11-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Where did you buy them from?

If you can provide a picture it would help.

jcattarulla
11-11-2002, 12:15 PM
The original pedals are fine: black rubber, like most. These new ones are Racing-Style pedals: brushed aluminum with grooves through which rubber protrudes.

The aluminum/ rubber pedals are about 1/4 of an inch thick- seems flimsy. I`ll try to upload a photo.

How thick are pedals normally?

boywonder
11-11-2002, 12:30 PM
JC, if they are anything like the Maxima`s Anniversary Edition Pedals, they go on top of the existing brake pedal. The only difference is that the BMW`s might snap on all of theirs. The Maxima requires the replacement of the entire accelerator assembly for the accelarator pedal.

Lowejackson
11-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Aluminum, sounds like it would be slippery when wet ? ( Although I dont know as I have never used them).

Steven

jcattarulla
11-11-2002, 02:28 PM
The aluminum never touches your feet- the rubber sticks through. It`s like a brushed aluminum piece with slits in it. The backside is rubber, which sticks through the slits. So it`s still your foot on rubber.

I`ve tried to attach a pic, but can`t.

Jngrbrdman
11-11-2002, 03:31 PM
I`ve replaced my pedals. There is a picture of them in the link in my sig somewhere. They were pretty easy to put on except for the dead pedal. That one had to be screwed on. The rest of them just have parts that go behind the pedal and hold them in place. I think they really dress up the interior. I`ve never had any problems with my feet slipping off them or anything. Mine are thin too, but that hasn`t ever caused a problem for me.

jcattarulla
11-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Mine all need to be screwed on. And I can`t tell if they go ON TOP of what is already there, or replace them. They seem to thin to entirely replace what is already there.

I`ll play around later tonight and figure it out.

Jngrbrdman
11-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Screwing them on is tough. Its just tough to get the right angle to get a drill down there. More than likely they just go over the existing pedals. I haven`t seen a set that actually replaces the rubber ones in a long time.

DrAMG
12-14-2002, 06:57 PM
don`t get these pedals that screw on top of he old ones:

#1 ricers do that

#2 you drive a BMW :)

On my Mercedes, I replaced my old black rubber pedal (it`s a cover that slips on the metal basically) with the SLK and SL pedals which are aluminum and black rubber dotted. I actually remove the old rubbers and slip the new ones on: Mercedes OEM quality and wicked look for 45 bucks :)

imported_Custom Detail
12-14-2002, 09:46 PM
JC

When you showed them to me on Staten Island,

I wasn`t sure either. The BMW drivers in the club use them on the track. (Limerock) I never thought to look underneith the pedal.

The track guys will do anything to reduce weight off the car

whenever possible. That may be the peddle itself that you have.

You will find the answer on www.bimmerfest.com

If not www.njbmwcca.org.

Walt

Jademonkey
12-15-2002, 12:23 AM
I know which ones you are talking about, or at least close to it.

I have the BMW made pedals like that in my car.

To put them on, you take off the rubber cover that is on the pedals, drill holes in the pedals, and use the provided materials to screw them on.

Its not that hard.

chevyguy28
12-15-2002, 01:25 AM
Baltic,

Trying to reduce sprung weight by changing pedals? I don`t think so. If they ran out of ideas, it`s probably better to go on a diet (most guys can afford to lose 5-10 .lbs).

Jngrbrdman
12-15-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by DrAMG

don`t get these pedals that screw on top of he old ones:

#1 ricers do that

#2 you drive a BMW :)

On my Mercedes, I replaced my old black rubber pedal (it`s a cover that slips on the metal basically) with the SLK and SL pedals which are aluminum and black rubber dotted. I actually remove the old rubbers and slip the new ones on: Mercedes OEM quality and wicked look for 45 bucks :)

Call me a ricer one more time and we are going to have words. How else are you supposed to change your deadpedal? Are you saying that any pedals that go over the old once are tacky?