PDA

View Full Version : PC Backer Plate

PAW
11-10-2002, 11:58 PM
Are the differences in the velcro backer plates from CMA and Coastal Tool? There`s not a detailed pic of the CMA one but it looks thinner.

imported_BretFraz
11-11-2002, 10:26 AM
If there is a diff it`s prolly not a big one. Buy whichever plate you prefer.

CharlesW
11-11-2002, 11:12 AM
The CMA and Coastal Tool backer plates are not something I am familiar with, but I have read that there is a difference in thickness and I`m pretty sure I read where there was a difference in diameter. As I recall, one of the backer plates was enough larger, (6"d?), that it left very little clearance between the edge of the pad and the edge of the backer plate. The Meguiar`s W-64 DA backer plate I have is 5" in diameter and is quite thin as well. It does not create any problems with clearance.

Go to the "Articles" forum and look for Porter Cable Accessorizing by 4DSC. Lots of information.

Charles

NattyBumppo
11-11-2002, 11:29 AM
I can confirm what CharlesW stated re: MEg`s and Coastal pad thickness. I`ve used both and prefer the Meg`s pad (5" vs the 6" Porter Cable pad shipped by Coastal). The 6" Porter Cable pad is very thick and does extend close to the ends of the pads. The MEg`s is nicely tapered and leaves more room at the pad ends for managing around side view mirrors, trim etc.

Never use dthe CMA backer but from the pics looks well thought out and similar to the Megs.

My .02.

eclemens
11-11-2002, 12:44 PM
The CMA backing plates are not what are pictured. I was dissapointed that the item I received was not the item pictured. FWIW

VV

Originally posted by NattyBumppo

I can confirm what CharlesW stated re: MEg`s and Coastal pad thickness. I`ve used both and prefer the Meg`s pad (5" vs the 6" Porter Cable pad shipped by Coastal). The 6" Porter Cable pad is very thick and does extend close to the ends of the pads. The MEg`s is nicely tapered and leaves more room at the pad ends for managing around side view mirrors, trim etc.

Never use dthe CMA backer but from the pics looks well thought out and similar to the Megs.

My .02.

PAW
11-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Can you describe the CMA backer plate? Or better yet a good pic. From the pics on the web site, it appeared to step down to a thin outer section.

shaf
11-13-2002, 03:48 AM
Yes please VetteVert, I`m curious too. I`ve seen backing pads like the one they show on the CMA site, but they`re unusual already and am wondering what they replaced them with.

Did they look like standard, non-descript backing pads like this?:

http://store4.yimg.com/I/porter-cable_1713_820664

On another note, when I finally got to see an actual Meguiar`s W64DA I noticed how much thinner it was than a normal 5" backing pad (that looks like the above pic). I can`t help but wonder if it`s lighter than normal ones... :nixweiss I wish I`d taken a pic of it.

chevyguy28
11-13-2002, 04:41 AM
I have the coastal tool backing pad, and I use it with CMA pads. They work perfectly together as long as you spend the extra five seconds to stick the pad on the backing plate correctly. No problems as of yet, in fact, I had not given it a second thought until reading this thread.

As far as your actual question, I don`t really know. Assuming both work equally well, your best bet is to buy the PC from coastal and purchase 6" pads from your favorite vendor (CMA ones are great, try out the new orange one too).

eclemens
11-13-2002, 05:54 AM
Yes, the one I recieved was similar in design to the one you picture. This is what they advertise:

http://properautocare.com/lib/classic-motoring/VelBacPla.jpg

I will try and remember to take a picture tonight so you can see exactly. I bought the higher priced CMA pad due to the fact it didn`t look like all the others. I figured since people here seemed to prefer the CMA backer that it must be different. What I received was the same that is offered for $10-$11 elsewhere...

VV

Originally posted by 4DSC

Yes please VetteVert, I`m curious too. I`ve seen backing pads like the one they show on the CMA site, but they`re unusual already and am wondering what they replaced them with.

Did they look like standard, non-descript backing pads like this?:

http://store4.yimg.com/I/porter-cable_1713_820664

On another note, when I finally got to see an actual Meguiar`s W64DA I noticed how much thinner it was than a normal 5" backing pad (that looks like the above pic). I can`t help but wonder if it`s lighter than normal ones... :nixweiss I wish I`d taken a pic of it.

tedfunsch
11-13-2002, 11:00 AM
I recently received my CMA kit and the backing plate did not look exactly like the picture.

The difference was that the edging was yellow (not white) and it was tapered (not a straight edge as pictured).

It seems to work fine. Other than the difference of total weight or balanced weight, what makes one backing plate better than another?

shaf
11-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman

It seems to work fine. Other than the difference of total weight or balanced weight, what makes one backing plate better than another? I`m glad it works. Some backing pads are just shaped differently for different jobs or needs - remember that they`re acutally for sanding. The Meguiar`s plate is also 5" as opposed to the CMA one which is 6", but both sound like they work well (balance-wise) as long as you have a 6" weight in your PC.

I`m hoping that they actually all weigh the same (if same diameter) though, because a lot of these backing pads, no matter what they look like, aren`t brand-specific and say they can be used on other DA sanders.

Thank you VetteVert. I hate it when you don`t get what you see.