PDA

View Full Version : Does it have to be `Dawn?`

tarthut57
11-10-2002, 10:03 PM
The first step I see in a number of paint prep processes calls for a Dawn wash. Can I use any dishwashing detergent or do I literally have to use Dawn?

Redcar GUY
11-10-2002, 10:11 PM
The reason that everyone says to use dawn is because it hads a high alkaline content. You could use any Dishwashing soap, I use dawn in the original formula, I dont need any scents or anti-bacterial crap:)

thevolvoguy
11-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Redcar --

My paint smells like an english garden after a Dawn wash... I use the "fresh flowers" scent lol. Oh, and you really do need to kill those germs before applying a sealant, you wouldnt want to trap them under there.

:xyxthumbs

enough with the corny jokes. :D

hondaguy2582
11-11-2002, 06:06 PM
in reality, if you just clay the car, then use a polish(smr, #9, use the least abrasive depending on paint condition) youll be better off doing that then using dawn. The only reason i haven`t used dawn is bc i feel safer using a car shampoo then doing my claying and polishing than dawn.

Jngrbrdman
11-11-2002, 06:09 PM
You also want to use a soap that doesn`t have any of those hand lotions in it. That isn`t helpful on your car. Just get the normal dish soap. Dawn is good because its pretty strong stuff. When you get into these other kinds, they tend to put moisterizers for your hands and stuff in em.

DETAILKING
11-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I would use dawn or a paint cleanser like pinnacle or P21S. You don`t want to use abrasives on car that doesn`t need them!

AS others have said, stay away from dish detergents with additives like hand softeners. This can leave a film on the paint.

Ferret
11-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Hi

Soaps all contain salt which is used to thicken the Sodium Laural Sulphate in all Dishwashing Soaps.

I think your mad to use it at all.

Ferret

aka Industrial chemist

imported_Intermezzo
11-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Ferret

Hi

Soaps all contain salt which is used to thicken the Sodium Laural Sulphate in all Dishwashing Soaps.

Ferret

aka Industrial chemist

Actually, I thought Sodium Laureth Sulfate (& its cousin Ammonium Laureth Sulfate) was one component of a soap`s sudsing agents. Am I wrong? This stuff is used in just about anything that creates suds... toothpaste, shampoo, bar soap..etc.

Bassinmax
11-18-2002, 08:01 PM

Hi

Ferret

aka Industrial chemist

Alas, we have a chemist to answer our chemical, molecular questions.:D

I suppose that SLS is a detergent with laurealsulphate as an active anionic agent? It would be too harsh for the finish then.

Ever only used SDS (forgotten its full name) as a generic detergent to separate protein molecules in biochemistry lab.

ultrajim49
11-19-2002, 06:38 AM

Hi

Ferret

aka Industrial chemist

That`s why we try to use it as little as possible.