PDA

View Full Version : Rubber & Vinyl treatments

ryeh2o
11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Hi: I just posted a question for the first time and was informed that i " hijacked someone`s thread ". I apolgize for the mistake and thank the member for coaching me on the proper method to ask questions.

I have a 98 Honda Accord ex v6 coupe and i`m finding the doors stick when opened after they have been wet. What is the best method to treat this rubber, and all the other rubber trim on the car?

The interior is leather & vinyl, how can i tell the difference between the two, and will Zanio`s leather conditioner work on all the interior surfaces?

Thanks for your help!

ryeh2o

shirtman
11-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the forum! The answer to your question involves two steps. First you should clean the rubber and the surfaces that it contacts. You can do this with a number of cleaners, including a bunch of them that are made specificall for the rubber parts of the car. Griots Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) makes some excellent cleaner, although there are many out there. The REVIEWS section of this forum has some excellent suggestions, including Meguair`s #40, which will clean and protect. A SEARCH would produce more information than you can possibly read.

I like the 303 Aerospace protectant for all rubber myself, as it seems to provide good protection without the overly shiny appearance. It is also great on the dash and other plastic/vinyl parts.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jeff

C. Charles Hahn
11-10-2002, 11:39 AM
^ good advice.

In the future, just for your referfence, please do the following:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1863search-med.jpg

most likely you will find the answer to your question there before you have to ask. Why duplicate info thats already been covered??

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, atleast download and read David`s eBook. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ if you like what you see, purchase the book to get access to the rest. 99% of your questions will be answered using this method.

Lowejackson
11-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Another perfect product is Gummi Phledge (sp?)

Steven

matty north
11-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ryeh2o

Hi: I just posted a question for the first time and was informed that i " hijacked someone`s thread ". I apolgize for the mistake and thank the member for coaching me on the proper method to ask questions.

I have a 98 Honda Accord ex v6 coupe and i`m finding the doors stick when opened after they have been wet. What is the best method to treat this rubber, and all the other rubber trim on the car?

The interior is leather & vinyl, how can i tell the difference between the two, and will Zanio`s leather conditioner work on all the interior surfaces?

Thanks for your help!

ryeh2o

My car has similar issues. I have a retractable hard top so if the rubber seal is not treated just so, it makes irritating noises when closed. I`ve only had this car since July and when the problem first occured, I treated it with Maguires Trim Detailer. It gave it enough slip to create a better seal and stop the noise. Perhaps it, or something with similar slip, will help your seal problem also.

As for the interior, I too have a combination of leather and vinyl. The SLK has to have the cheapest interior I`ve ever seen on a Mercedes. The leather in it is unlike that in any MB I`ve had before and the amount of plastic is galling. I was at CMA last Monday and had them take a look at the interior. They suggested I ignore the fact that the leather was even leather at all and treat the entire interior with 303 Aerospace Protectant. I bought some and did so for the first time this weekend. The look is better than the leather treatment I was using before and it was much easier than trying to guess which part is leather, which part is vinyl, which part is plastic... One product worked on the entire interior.

I also put the 303 on that roof seal that gave me a problem before. I will watch to see how that does with the noise.