PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready.... (long)

jesus213
11-10-2002, 12:16 AM
So I`m getting VERY close to working on my car...

ive got the basic idea for what needs to be done (i read the eBook), and now i`d just like some of your opinions on what combination of products to use for my 2001 Volvo with BLACK paint (swirls!). (i assume it has a clear coat because its a newer car)

Unless i can just go into PepBoys or Costco and get the stuff I need? check it out...

from start to finish, in this exact order:

-DAWN wash. it will be my first attempt at cleaning the car so i`ll need that 100% squeeky clean surface. (wash mits will be used)

-Drying. the rinse method, then appropriate drying towel. or WaterBlade (carefull!)

-Clay bar. i`ll use a blend of car wash and water for lube (as suggested by a autopia member, unless you`ve got something better?)

[question, after clay - do you have to rinse the car again, or towel dry the lube?]

-Swirl remover. I`ll apply the swirl remover with a ROB, let it sit, then remove by ROB

-Polish (or is this the same as swirl remover????) After applying swirl remover I`ll apply the polish with the ROB, let it sit, then remove by ROB

maybe 1 or two more coats... same thing...

-Sealant. im not sure how to apply the sealant after the polish.. can the ROB be used?

i dont plan on waxing... or should I?

So how does the plan sound? anything you guys would like to ADD id appreciate it...

THANKS!

jesus213
11-10-2002, 04:40 PM
i got a few things this morning...

Mothers Gold Car wash

Mothers Clay Bar Kit - clay, showtime, carnauba cleaner wax (couldnt get CLAY alone..)

Mothers Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner -phase 1

3M Swirl Remover for dark cars.

Tanner select 100% chamois large

Cali Water blade

Turtle wax Sheepskin mitt

Turtle wax polish/wax remover cloth

Turtle wax terry cloth bonnet and Foam bonnet...

am i ready???

Jademonkey
11-10-2002, 05:25 PM
The swirl remover and polish do not need to "sit"

The swirl remover needs to be worked in until it basically disappears, and then buffed off with a cloth.

the polish can be used the same way, although i like doing the polish by hand(not really sure why, but i do)

What kind of sealent are you going to be using?

for sealents and wax i find it is much easier to apply by hand.

You use less product and it doesnt really take that much longer(personally i find i do it faster by hand)

On the question of do you need to polish, if you are doing swirl remover you do not NEED to, but some people still like doing it before applying the final protectant(wax or sealent).

shaf
11-10-2002, 05:53 PM
If you use soap for lube I`d definitely rinse down the car first. I still personally prefer using QD as the lube. Either way, I`d wipe the lube off as I go.

First, what or whose "polish" is this? There`s real polish (abrasive), then there`s Meguiar`s "polish", which may be a glaze. If it`s a glaze don`t use it before a sealant.

If you think you need the help of both, I`d use the paint cleaner then the swirl remover after.

Just remember that you don`t do coats or layers for any of the above - you`re just working them in until the gloss comes out.

For product removal/buffing by hand, most people prefer MF or quality cotton bath/hand towels. The quality or safety of the TW removal cloth you have is unknown here.

jesus213
11-10-2002, 11:07 PM
i thought the 3M and Mothers Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner (phase one) are both Polish... arent they?

i tested just the trunk lid of the 6Series today. what i did.. (in this order)

Dawn wash..

Mothers Clay w/Mothers Gold showtime instant detail.

Applied 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover w/ROB (foam pad), waited until it dried then removed with TW Microfiber Removal cloth

Applied Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner Phase one w/ROB (terrycloth), waited until it dried then removed with TW Microfiber Romoval cloth

I didnt wax/seal it - since i planned on only testing the trunk lid...

OVERALL i saw a LITTLE improvement with scratches and swirls. the trunk felt SILKY smooth after the clay, then after the polishes. which was nice. the shine was OK.

would it help any if i applied more of the swirl remover on the foam pad, or if i did a regular dose and repeated it a few times after i buffed it out??????

so do i have the right steps here, what would you guys do differenty? do i need ANOTHER polish in addition to the mothers phase 1 and 3M swirl remover?

thanks

paco
11-11-2002, 12:12 AM
I`ve never used Mother`s pre-wax cleaner, but it may end up being more abrasive then the 3M SMR.

Curious - How long did you work the product until it dried? 1minute, 5, 10, 30m etc?

I`d use the pre-wax and then the 3M SMR. The 3M should bring out a high gloss if you worked enough.

Clay - No need to rinse again as you`ll be polishing.

A small area is usually pretty difficult to tell unless it was in pretty severe condition. I`d do a front corner panel and see what comes out.

SMR/Polish - Both the same. The SMRs are very very mild polishes. Depending on the brand, it can and usually contains a lot of oils to hide the swirls. Therefore, depending on your goals, that could be a good or bad thing.

Good - if you`re trying to HIDE the swirls

Bad - if you`re trying to get RID of the swirls.

If you`re trying to get rid of them, the after you wiped the area, wipe again with a 50/50 mixture of water and IPA (isopropyl alcohol - i.e. rubbing alcohol - pharmacy). That will remove the oils left behind by the SMR.

Waxing / Sealing

If you plan on sealing, then waxing is not required or is the very last step. The wax can/will interfere with the bonding of the sealant.

Applying a sealant is best done by hand. It minimzes the amount you use and gives you better control over how much is being applied.

The best technique I`ve seen is a by autopia member with a Jetta. He loads his pad, blots an area (i.e. 1/2 a hood) with about 9 blots and then connects with straight lines in the direction of wind travel. That way he ensure complete coverage.

You`re on track,

dawn wash, clay, pre-wax cleaner (work it good), SMR (work it good), wipe down with 50/50, re-SMR if required, wash with car soap, Sealant, Sealant, Sealant, wax if desired. Quick Detail after every wash.

The wait time between sealant coats varies depending on the product.

Let`s us know how it works out...

Paco

jesus213
11-11-2002, 12:34 AM
wow, thanks paco

after reading the e-book and doing a bunch searches it`s all still pretty overwhelming...

the mothers dried quickly, less than 10 mins

I need to WASH the car again (with car wash) after I`m finished polishing? is this NEEDED? what if im not using the 3M, just the polish cleaner? is another wash needed?