PDA

View Full Version : remember that trench I was dreamin about?

Redcar GUY
11-09-2002, 07:50 PM
WHAT A DAY!

I thought I would take advantage of the nice 60 degree weather we were going to have today, Picked up the trencher at 8:40 am, Got it to the house and started right away! The trench itself is 4 feet deep, 6in wide and 70 feet long. I could only get so close to the house and garage with it (if you have ever used a trencher you know what I mean) It took about an hour to dig the whole trench, we had to stop a few times to dig around some tree roots and cut them out with the sawzal. Next we dug under the garage foundation and cut a one foot by one foot hole in the garage floor then dig out 4 feet of dirt so we could get the pipes under the foundation and through the floor. We used  copper for the water supply line, it is in the bottom of the trench. On top of that we ran a 4in PVC pipe for Phone, TV cable, cat5 wires; I also ran a  rope through the pipe to “pull through†any wires later. I used 4in because in the future I may need to add other wires? So far we have the pipes installed up to the house and the water hydrant installed in the garage, I used a outdoor hydrant that has a drain back system so I will never freeze even if the garage heat is off, we did a pressure test on the water line, No leaks;) and I have about 15 feet of the trench backfilled, when I was backfilling I did add a yellow caution tape about 2 feet below the surface to help if anyone in the future would dig there(thx to the ultimate garage for that idea ;)) so in the morning I have to dig out more around the house and cut the hole in the house foundation, then hook everything up. Let me tell ya, if you have never dug under a foundation it is a lot of work! I didn’t have time to take to may pics because we were trying to beat the rain that was on it way. I know these pics suck but it is the best I got. More pics and updates later

This is me cleaning out the last off the dirt that was in the trench

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/504/1046mvc-067s-med.jpg

This pic is taken towards the garage I had already started to back fill in this pic

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/504/1046mvc-070s-med.jpg

Brad B
11-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Hey, now THAT`s impressive!!!!Great job! :xyxthumbs

I dug mine by hand. What a fool I was.:(

C. Charles Hahn
11-09-2002, 11:09 PM
of course you`re probably cringing that you tore up your beautiful lawn, too.... but nice work! I`m sure you`re gonna love having a water supply out in the garage, as well as all the other wiring and stuff..