PDA

View Full Version : terry cloth on clearcoat? (or foam) pad

Surfer8210
11-07-2002, 03:50 PM
hi all,

well, i`ve been reading in many posts and other various websites that when applying a paint cleaner (like Pinnalce Paintwork Cleaner or Meguiars #9), its preferable to use a Terry cloth.

Yet, I JUST read somewhere within the last few days that "if your car has a clearcoat, use Foam applicator. If your car does not have a clearcoat, use a Terry applicator pad".........

Well, my car DOES have a clearcoat....so, which should I be using?

thanks

Shant

rolle4
11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
For the applicator pad I think it is really more a matter of personal preference. I`ve used both and prefer the foam but have had excellent results with the terry also. Try both and use what works best for you.

Bill

medic159
11-08-2002, 12:45 PM
There is no reason whatsoever why you can’t use terry. A long as it does not contain any artificial fibers such as polyester or rayon you are safe.

imported_Intermezzo
11-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Use a cotton terry towel or applicator for a little more cutting power (or for your first couple applications) and use a foam app (or MF app) for less cutting power or for your final application(s). Depending on the color or your car, using a cotton terry towel might leave some visible haze or marring on your clear coat which can be easily cleared up using the same product with a soft foam applicator.

Surfer8210
11-08-2002, 02:09 PM
thanks for replys...quick follow-up

so, bottom line, using a Terry pad will not adversly affect my clearcoat/paint, right?

HellrotCi
11-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Right. I used a terry covered foam applicator for applying wax lots of times. Remember though that your terry pad will wear out, like all things, then you`ll want to pitch it or find some other use for it.

Poorboy
11-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Intermezzo is completely right:up the better your finish gets the smoother the applicator and removal cloth, hopefully mf, should be. Be also a bit more gentle with terry vs mf but we used terry a lot longer than mf and had beautiful cars then too...oh about 100 yrs or so:xyxthumbs

medic159
11-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Your refer to terry vs MF... keep in mind terrycloth is a type of woven fabric and MF is simply a reference to yarn size. Hence you can, and do, have MF terrycloth, just like you have pure cotton terry, or poly terry, or whatever.

Brad B
11-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Sorry guys, I`ll play the other side of the fence here.

I strongly believe that you should never use a terry covered applicator when using compounds. Terry applicators are bad because the uneven texture creates "hot spots" of pressure on the surface which gives a greater tendency towards swirls and scratches. This also allows the compound to "pocket" in areas and become inconsistent in dispersal. When compounding you are pushing harder on the pad which magnifies these problems. The fibers also mat down quickly when wet and become embedded with debris very easily. It is also more difficult to see debris in the pad. This is all bad news.

A pure foam pad has none of the vices.

I use terry only when applying waxes, and rarely even then. There is simply no real advantage.

http://www.fototime.com/19362D49AA2AC45/standard.jpg

Poorboy
11-08-2002, 05:43 PM
:bow I`m sorry pure cotton:p I`ll try to be more specific:xyxthumbs

shaf
11-08-2002, 08:38 PM
I appreciate Brad B`s views, and I would use foam if I could because of the fact that it`s flatter and more uniform. However I personally think that matted-down terry fibers and foam both trap dirt just as well, so I don`t worry about this aspect. I currently use terry covered foam (which successfully passed the CD test :up) but won`t after I finally take delivery of my PC. Oh yeah, the main reason I use terry is because the foam app. made horrible horrible SCREECHING noises that had my eye twitching in an all new way. :eek:

Detailing NY
11-08-2002, 08:50 PM
sandpaper always worked for me :)

please do not attempt the above.