PDA

View Full Version : Questions on SSR`s

HondaMan
07-25-2004, 01:14 PM
I take it SSR1 is more than adequate for a new car (mine is a few weeks old, my brothers` about 5 months).

But what about for a 2001 silver Mitsubishi (minimally washed or waxed, if any) and a 1994 black Camry (ditto, minimally washed or waxed). These are family member cars and I`m thinking maybe I can bring them back a bit with some of the techniques and materials I`ve picked up here.

Would SSR 2 or SSR 2.5 or even SSR 3.0 be best? I know this is a guestimate on your part, I`m leaning to 2.5 or 3.0 given the age and lack of car care involved in each over the years. Needless to say, I don`t want to over-abrasive (if that`s possible) on the cars and damage them.

Finally, any suggestions on a chemical cleaner and I should be set to go next week. I think I have the SSR`s, towels, polishes, cleaners, and waxes all set. Just making sure I have all the intermediate steps covered -- boy, this is ALOT of work!

Hopefully, it`s worth the effort.

gnev8
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I`m sure the pros on this site will say "it depends. Show us pictures."
The product to use depends on the condition of the paint.
I have been using SSR1 on some older cars with typical wash scratrches and swirls.
It has made a huge difference in the overall gloss and look of the paint, but has not dug down to the deepest scratches.
I have learned reading here that those require stronger products (like the SSR2.5 and 3 you mention) along with a PC for easiest removal.

rollman
07-25-2004, 01:47 PM
:yeah . Pics would help alot , but as a rule when in-doubt always start off with the least aggressive product and if that isn`t working step up . Good luck :bigups

HondaMan
07-25-2004, 03:17 PM
GNEV, what is a "PC" ??

rollman
07-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
GNEV, what is a "PC" ??

PC is short for Porter Cable orbital polisher

gnev8
07-25-2004, 04:44 PM
HondaMan:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm?L+coastest+qvkx8969ffdbd9db+10 90885698

HondaMan
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all your help, guys...this is truly a great site. Placing my order tonite....hope the sponsors appreciate the new business you guys are steering to them!