PDA

View Full Version : Carport or Car Cover? Which is better?

djml01miata
11-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Which do you think protects a car better: a custom fitting car cover made with waterproof material (like weathershield) OR an aluminum carport cover that provides top and minimal side protection but is open front and rear?

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
11-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Well, unless you can take that carport with you everywhere you go then I`d say the car cover is better. Something like that will protect your car no matter where you are. A car cover protects all sides of your car too. If given a choice to have a parking spot out in timbuctoo but get the finest car cover in the land, or to get a parking spot with an aluminum roof on it then I`d take the car cover. No door dings and no dust. How could it get any better?

shaf
11-06-2002, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I`d say it depends on what your "portability needs" are for it. Have you considered one of those cloth/cavas semi-portable garages that have zip-up flaps for the front and rear? Then you can protect the car better than either one of them. I tell you, I`ve been awfully tempted to get one of these babies sometimes... :)

GP Infinity
11-06-2002, 09:11 AM
I think that I would use the carport more. Its just one of those things, you have to get out of your car and put the cover on vs driving into the carport getting out of your car and walking away. If its raining or snowing or inclement weather outside, you just dont want to stay out there and put the cover on. If its hailing outside, you have to think the carport is much better. Yes you dont have it when you travel but I work at a place with covered parking(yea) and it becomes a big issue for me when I go look for a job, not the main issue but its still an issue.. most malls in Dallas have covered parking somewhere and so does the airport.. so I vote for carport.. plus your car is in the shade when you want to wash it..

Dana

imported_Paul Mitchell
11-06-2002, 10:21 AM
I have to wonder......

I have a Weathershield car cover and it protects fairly well. My car is outside 24/7 and it was pretty dry in NY all Summer. Now with the rain starting up again and snow right around the corner, the cover is becoming problematic. Where the heck do I put it when it`s wet?? They claim you can just shake it out and put it away to dry. It`s too big to shake out myself and even with another person, it`s near impossible. With snow or ice, I think it would be worse. Where do you put it when it`s wet? Maybe a plastic bag in the trunk(?) or in the house. I am not too comfortable with this. Plus the car has to be clean before you put the cover on. After being driven in the rain or snow, I am not putting it back on a dirty car. It`s also tough keeping dirt off the underside of the cover and you don`t want that on your car either.

There are plus sides to the cover but also consider the difficulties before you make your decision. In the Summer, it`s great to keep sap, bird droppings and dust off but dealing with the wet stuff is a pain!

:nixweiss

HTH. Regards, Eric

NattyBumppo
11-06-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by EricGTI

I have to wonder......

I have a Weathershield car cover and it protects fairly well. My car is outside 24/7 and it was pretty dry in NY all Summer. Now with the rain starting up again and snow right around the corner, the cover is becoming problematic. Where the heck do I put it when it`s wet?? They claim you can just shake it out and put it away to dry. It`s too big to shake out myself and even with another person, it`s near impossible. With snow or ice, I think it would be worse. Where do you put it when it`s wet? Maybe a plastic bag in the trunk(?) or in the house. I am not too comfortable with this. Plus the car has to be clean before you put the cover on. After being driven in the rain or snow, I am not putting it back on a dirty car. It`s also tough keeping dirt off the underside of the cover and you don`t want that on your car either.

There are plus sides to the cover but also consider the difficulties before you make your decision. In the Summer, it`s great to keep sap, bird droppings and dust off but dealing with the wet stuff is a pain!

:nixweiss

HTH. Regards, Eric

Great points Eric. All the reasons you mentioned are what made me decide to not bother with a cover. I`ve now begun an accelerated savings plan to build that two car, detached (heated) garage. Lucky for me, I have relatives who are masons, carpenters and heavy machine operators and I`ll handle the radiant heating and electricity. The only thing I don`t have covered is a tree service guy to whack the dozen or so huge trees where the garage will be. Any Autopians in the NY/NJ area good with a chainsaw? :D

ashsarna
11-06-2002, 12:31 PM
EricGTI, yeah those are good points. Even though There is a positive side to both argument, I have to now agree with you, that a carport would have more convenience year round especially if winter weather plays a role where you are.