PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud about layering products

imported_Aurora40
11-05-2002, 02:59 PM
You know how there is always some controversy over which products layer and which don`t? Well, for some reason that popped into my head. I don`t have the answers, though...

However, a lot of times people talk about the product, but not how they applied it. I`d bet using a polishing pad instead of a finishing pad might make a product more likely to strip whatever is under it. When I use MPPP with a polishing pad, it cleans the paint somewhat, but with a finishing pad it doesn`t seem to at all (judging from dirt on the pad and wipe-off and such). I suspect that by hand a terry or MF applicator would have more "cut" than a foam applicator. I mean, you could buff the haze with a clean terry or MF applicator, but a foam one wouldn`t work.

I just thought this might be at least part of the layering equation. Every product has some sort of solvent, so if the applicator has some cut, it may enable the solvents of some products to remove stuff you wouldn`t expect it to (like glazes). But I don`t know. Just thinking out loud (or thinking on the keyboard)... :nixweiss

shaf
11-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I thought about this too, but not from the usual solvents standpoint and instead from the pad standpoint. Someone in a recent thread was talking about applying Klasse by PC and I started thinking about how it is probably possible, even with a finishing pad, to physically wear away previous coats if you press too hard or try to work it in more than you need to. I don`t know if or how much this would happen, but it sounded logical at the time. :nixweiss