PDA

View Full Version : Paint interior..not what you think

currituckf150
11-05-2002, 12:03 AM
In the Grand Cherokees there is 3 or 4 accent pieces (wood color). I can`t find any replacements other than carbon crap and brushed alum. I would like to keep it simple and go with black. However, I`m not sure if it shoud be flat/semi or gloss? Also, does anyone have a good process for prep. work/painting/sealing?

Thanks for the time

Jngrbrdman
11-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Its pretty easy. Carefully pry the pieces off the car. If they are vents and parts like that, then they should just pop off. If the pieces are smooth then you may want to rough them up a bit so the paint will stick.

Get some primer from any autopart store and spray a base coat on. Keep the can 8-12 inches away from the piece as you are spraying. Also, make sure you shake the can well. Wait for each coat to dry before applying another one. It may take 2 or 3 coats of primer. It will probably take 10 or 15 minutes to fully dry.

I would use a flat black. Unless, of course, you really like shiney pieces on your dash. It could look good in a nice gloss black. I`ve got a black dash and I don`t need any more shine than I`ve got. lol Anyway, use the same technique in applying the color as you did the primer. Thin coats and spray 8 to 12 inches away from the piece. Do thin coats so it won`t drip. Drips are bad. You have to wait for it to dry and then sand it down and start all over pretty much. Take the time to do it right and go thin.

I would finish it off with a few layers of clear coat. You should be able to get all these spray paints in any auto parts store. Let the clear dry between coats and go thin. Clear seems to take less time than paint but more time than primer to dry. The whole process should only take a couple hours with all the drying time considered.

That is my process anyway. There are other people who may be able to give some advice that I missed. I`ve always painted this way and it has worked so far. I`m sure there is another way to do it that is just as effective. The sanding of the pieces is the only thing that I`m not sure about. I`ve always sanded the pieces first and they look great. I`m not so sure about ones that are already smooth and shiney. :nixweiss

currituckf150
11-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the details. As for paper, should I use like 1000 grit or 2000 grit? Don`t want it too mared up. Right now it very shiney/slick wood, so I figure it gonna need some ruffing up for quality sake. And should I wet sand?

Thanks for the time...

Jngrbrdman
11-05-2002, 12:52 AM
I`m gonna let someone else field that one. I`m sort of your "Backyard Auto Performance" guy. I don`t always do it the right way. I just do it how it works. LOL There is a member on the board called dlw who may be able to help you. He and his son have done a great job with the painting of some parts of their project Prelude. Shoot him an email and see if he can give you any other tips.