PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need prof detailer in Durham, NC area!

Glossy McGlosserton
11-04-2002, 12:54 PM
O` Autopians!

Had a body shop repaint roof and rear bumper. Then found overspray on hood, sides, etc. In "removing" overspray, the body shop put fine scratches and swirls all over my `98 dark green Accord. And there`s still some overspray on the hood!

Took it back, and the body shop owner agreed to pay for a detailer to buff the car. I don`t have a PC, and feel that usually I don`t need one. And I`m not physically up to doing it by hand.

I`m scheduled to take the car to the detailer they use tomorrow at 8am. But this detailer was "afraid" of my standards, and told me that all detailing will leave swirls. :confused:

The body shop said they`d pay for me to go to a detailer of my choice.

Anyone have recommendations? I need someone who details to Autopian standards. TIA

Anthony O.
11-04-2002, 07:53 PM
Sher,

I can`t believe that a auto body shop cannot remove something as simple as overspray without having to resort to a high speed polisher with 600 grit remover and a wool pad!!

It also bugs me to no end that they do not take the extra time and effort to make sure there is no overspray on the areas of your car NOT being re-painted.

As for a detailer not sure if they might be up to your standards....well sounds like a detailer you would want to avoid anyway. The overspray on your car right now will not harm it so I suggest you take your time and find a detailer that comes highly recommended in your area by those with the high end cars who are also very anal. Try some car clubs.

Anthony :bounce

BumpersPlus2
11-04-2002, 08:43 PM
CANCEL THAT APPOINTMENT!!!!!! If the detailer is not up to your standards, dont use them. I have a friend in Raliegh, maybe could help you . He is very anal . He does an excellent job. He operates a mobile detailing service. His homepage is paulsad.com his telephone number is 919-812-4759, his email is rosesdistcoinc@yahoo.com Hope he can help . Tell him Jason from conover sent him to you. Jason

Scottwax
11-04-2002, 11:24 PM
But this detailer was "afraid" of my standards, and told me that all detailing will leave swirls.

Maybe all his lousy detailing will leave swirls. If all detailing left swirls, no one here would wax their cars anymore. Why bother?

Like Bumpers Plus said, cancell the appointment. Do not let that person near your car. He sounds like the typical hacker to me. Seems like he has never heard of a foam finishing pad or a waffle pad.

The body shop people don`t seem too bright either. Haven`t they ever heard of overspray clay? Foam buffing pads? Sounds like you not only found a lousy detailer, but an inept body shop as well. Tough break, huh? Sorry to hear you ran into people who do not share your standards, nor are they willing to attempt to meet them.

Too bad you are not in the Dallas area. I know a body shop that is outstanding. When they fixed my car, not only was there no overspray on the outside of my car, but none in the door jams either. The paint had one minor swirl that took about a minute to remove. Other than that, the repaint was fantastic!

Glossy McGlosserton
11-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the replys! I know we are anal, but it is surreal to be talking to body shop fellow and detailers and feel that we`re anal!

When I had no recommendations from here as of yesterday afternoon, I called a local high end used car shop that carries beautiful BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos. Their cars always look great. So I talked to the owner, who has given me good advice in the past. The detailer he uses turns out to be the same guys the body shop recommended. I was surprised, but went with it.

I`ll let you know how it turns out. I`m hoping that the "all buffing produces swirls" comment was because they were afraid they might be getting a "problem" customer who would be dissatisfied no matter what. When I left it off this morning, the detailer said, "We`ll baby it and do it right, don`t worry." Fingers crossed.

Jason, I saw Paul`s home page when I did an Internet search for detailers in our area! I would have used him if I`d had your recommendation earlier. I`ll keep his contact info on hand for this winter (if I get lazy and it`s cold). ;) Where in our state are you? My mom lives between Asheville and Weaverville.

Thanks y`all for the help and encouragement.

BumpersPlus2
11-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Sherri, I live in Hickory! My Dad lives in Hendersonville, and got family in Winston Salem, and Cary. Look Paul up when you get a chance. Have a nice day. Jason