PDA

View Full Version : DACP with Orbital

michaelparas
11-04-2002, 03:44 AM
Hi guys im new here. I have a question about DACP and orbital and i hope you can help me out.

I live in manila and all I have is a local brand orbital polisher. My question is, what bonnet could I use for DACP? The only bonnets available is a wool and terry bonnet that comes with the polisher. Also, I think Turtle Wax bonnets could fit too. Is there a turtle wax foam bonnet? if there is one, could I use that on DACP? Thanks for the help guys.

jerry@robs
11-04-2002, 04:21 AM
Mike, you`re here!

Hehe.... TW has foam bonnets, I think they`re about P200 ea if I`m not mistaken in Concorde. You can use DACP by hand, orbital or rotary, it`s great with a rotary...

If you`re using the KYK orbital, you probably can make do with other hand polishes instead of DACP that doesn`t need heat to break down. Your hand polish (the one you brought last month) would do well. You just might have to do 2 or more passes.

Welcome to Autopia

shaf
11-04-2002, 04:23 AM
Welcome Michael. :wavey Man, you people in the Philipines must really love your cars! We have theveed from your area, as well as 1 or 2 more members that don`t post as often.

I`m not 100% sure with bonnets, but I`d try to match the bonnet with what you`re trying to do. If you have semi-serious swirls to remove I`d definitely go straight to the wool pad, especially since it`s a non-PC orbital. If it`s not as serious you could try the terry ones. Some experimenting might be in order to see what works. Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Oops - there he is already with some better advice! :D I type too sloooooow. :p

michaelparas
11-04-2002, 04:37 AM
thanks for the reply guys.

well actually its not for my car. Its for my friends car which needs a bit of restoration. 5 years without being detailed. Since I dont have a rotary and i dont really have the cash now to buy one, im thinking of using my kyk orbital buffer (local brand) and maybe DACP to "simulate" restoration. What other products do you suggest that comes at least close to restoring with using just an orbital? 3M finish restorer?

thanks!

jerry@robs
11-04-2002, 04:43 AM
Mike, Finish Restorer is known as Medium Oxidation Remover in the US, 4DSC knows quite a bit about 3M stuff so you might want to PM him about it...

It depends on how bad your friend`s car is... if you don`t have the time, tool or skill to fix up a really bad car, stuff like Nu Finish can work fast on such cars with little fuzz... Although it`s nothing "premium" it could be a good start to remove thick oxidation and stuff, then your polishing and waxing tasks may be a lot easier since all the old gunk has been removed.

We (in Manila) don`t have much to choose from in terms of products, but we have enough to handle most cases...

Try to use the search tool and look for topics under restoration, beater car, etc etc... you might find some archived info that are great... (there are tons here...)

michaelparas
11-04-2002, 04:48 AM
yeah i know what you mean. Its hard to apply knowledge that you learn here in autopia because of our limited products and tools.

Thanks for the replies, will try to search the archives for more of info. :bow