PDA

View Full Version : U voting on Tuesday?

Pages : [1] 2

Redcar GUY
11-03-2002, 05:33 PM
No wars about politics, I just want to see how much of the autopia Community votes

Jngrbrdman
11-03-2002, 06:06 PM
I voted no. The reason behind that is because I am politically stupid. I work from 2 pm till 11 pm Monday through Friday. I`m in school from 8:30 am till 12:30 pm. I never ever see the news and have no idea who is running. My vote would be a vote of the deaf and blind.

Because I don`t vote, I also don`t b*tch about who is in office. Since I didn`t vote against them I don`t have the right to complain when I don`t agree with what they are doing.

edit: I do vote in Presidential elections. I just feel like a visitor in every city I live in. Keeping up with all the local politics can drive you batty. Its much eaiser to follow presidential elections no matter where you are in the world.

dbruene
11-03-2002, 06:07 PM
Of course, as casting a vote is one of the most sacred rights of being a citizen and a patriot of this beautiful "Land of Free and Home of the Brave."

Cherish one`s rights to vote. :xyxthumbs

rockafella
11-03-2002, 06:40 PM
YES

because I can.....

matty north
11-03-2002, 07:14 PM
I can`t imagine ever missing a vote. I`m a CPA, but instead of doing the normal CPA type things, my part of the firm is almost exclusively working with political candidates and committees so I really stay up on the candidates and issues.

Every vote counts, but make it an informed vote. I have a great deal of respect for those like the poster who said he was ignorant of the candidates and issues so would refrain from voting.

mrdetailer
11-03-2002, 07:54 PM
The very first time I had the opportunity to vote I was out of the Country. I went to the American Consolate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, registered for the first time, and 5 weeks later when the ballot arrived, cast my first votes. Always considered it a privilege.

Mr. Clean
11-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Between a Civics teacher and the turmoil of the VietNam years I`ve voted since I was eligible. Not real pleased with many the candidate selections here in Texas. But, I will make a choice, because I can.

Scottwax
11-03-2002, 08:39 PM
I always vote. Like Mr. Clean, I am not happy with at least one of the Texas races (governor) because the camaign has been so nasty. For governor, I am voting Libertarian this time.

Jngrbrdman
11-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by mrdetailer

The very first time I had the opportunity to vote I was out of the Country. I went to the American Consolate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, registered for the first time, and 5 weeks later when the ballot arrived, cast my first votes. Always considered it a privilege.

Was this a presidential election or elections like we are having this month? I`m curious how well you were able to follow the canidates from Brazil.

Mr. Clean
11-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Scottwax is right on. There is going to be an inordinate amount of mud to be cleaned up after the Governor`s race...and the U.S. Senate race... and the Lt. Governor`s race. Shall we talk about the races for bench seats? (That`s judges, not the opposite of bucket seats :D )

We do have four choices in many races Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, and the Green Party.

Wondering if any of our Texas politicians have gotten any press across the borderine? Due to the national implications, I have heard a bit about our friends to the north (Minnesota) with Jesse "the body"

mrdetailer
11-04-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Was this a presidential election or elections like we are having this month? I`m curious how well you were able to follow the canidates from Brazil.

It was a presidential election, and that was the one I was concerned about. I was familiar with the state officials -- one of them lived in my neighborhood. Took the usual best guess with the county ones and school boards.

Taxlady
11-04-2002, 01:36 AM
No elections going on in Montreal now.

ultrajim49
11-04-2002, 04:58 AM
Isn`t it an obligation to vote in The States?You have the choice to vote or not?

In Belgium it`s simple: everyone older than 18 years MUST vote if there are elections.

edit: everyone = every Belgian

Christiaan

imported_Aurora40
11-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Because I don`t vote, I also don`t b*tch about who is in office. Since I didn`t vote against them I don`t have the right to complain when I don`t agree with what they are doing.

Whether you voted for the person who represents you or not shouldn`t matter. They still represent you, so you should feel free to contact them and let them know where you stand on things.

Also, you really really really should vote. Even if you can only do very limited research, these are the people who will make decisions that affect you and your money. Even if you just do the tiniest bit of research, it will be more than most voters do. If you don`t vote, you are letting these people decide for you. When it really comes down to it, the buck stops right there with you the voter. You have as much control and sway over what goes on with the government as any other single person out there. If you don`t exercise this control, then you give it away. When you hear the oft-quoted saying "the price of freedom is eternal vigilence", I hope you realize that means for you the voter too. If you don`t stay vigilent as a voter, then I assure you your freedom can be taken away. I really hope you will reconsider voting before tomorrow.

CharlesW
11-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Absolutely YES!

Just a thought. With all the "dirty" politics going on in the races in our area, does anyone besides me think the intent is to make everyone so sick of the campaign that they don`t vote? If they can discourage the rank & file voters, they can carry the races with the diehards in their own camps. They have dug up so much crap in Iowa and spend so much time accusing each other of something that they are able to avoid any real issues. I guess what I am saying is that I will vote despite their best efforts to convince me not to.

Charles