PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

Kenney
11-02-2002, 10:13 PM
Should I use bottled water when I wash my car?

I am in this for good looks and I have a lot of time so do I need an orbital buffer? I have read that you can get better results with hand than a Orbital ( I am too big of a wuss to use a direct buffer)

What motion should I use when buffing a wax with a Mf towel? Circular?

I got some questions on “The Perfect Shine” chapter the autopia. Here is what it listed on how to get the perfect shine

1. Washed with a strong car wash (Powerwash+) 2 times. Then dried.

2. Clayed the car where needed

3. Used Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion with a “quality” foam app. Then followed with buffing with a terry cloth.

4. Removing scuffs and swirls ( I do not have to worry about that)

5. Apply Klasse All-in-one Acrylic polymer with a “quality” form app and buff with Mf towel.

6. After that use Klasse Sealant Glaze, apply 2-3 layers of it.

7. Finish with Pinnacle Souveran or Blitz Wax.

Ok, let’s say I do this whole process but it looks like total utter crap. Would I have to strip the whole thing down again to it over? Would I just wash the car with a strong car wash to get rid of it all? How would I know if I removed the polymer? Also when applying multiple layers of the Sealant Glaze, do I just apply and buff the whole car and repeat? One more and I will leave you guys alone, with the Pinnacle Souveran wax, how to I apply it with a form applicator? Since it is a paste, do I just apply a thin layer on the foam applicator, spread over a 1-2 square foot area, allow hazing, then buff with an Mf towel?

Thanks!

:)

Jngrbrdman
11-02-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kenney

Should I use bottled water when I wash my car?

Use bottled water if you like. It doesn`t really matter too much unless you are using canal water or something. If there is a water shortage and fines are being issued for washing your car, then I`d definatly suggest using it if you need your car washed. Otherwise, your normal outdoor hose should do fine.

I am in this for good looks and I have a lot of time so do I need an orbital buffer? I have read that you can get better results with hand than a Orbital ( I am too big of a wuss to use a direct buffer)

You totally want a buffer. Its going to be the eaisest way to remove the swirls that make great cars look bad. If you are really going for that showroom shine then you are going to need a buffer unless you are incredibly talented and have been detailing for years. Get a Porter Cable. Do a search on that in the forums. It is by far the polisher of choice around here.

What motion should I use when buffing a wax with a Mf towel? Circular?

Nope. Go in the direction that the air travels in over your car. Circular motions will create more swirls than going back and forth. Be careful either way. Any rubbing on your car can potentially cause swirls.

I got some questions on “The Perfect Shine” chapter the autopia. Here is what it listed on how to get the perfect shine

1. Washed with a strong car wash (Powerwash+) 2 times. Then dried.

2. Clayed the car where needed

3. Used Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion with a “quality” form app. Then followed with buffing with a terry cloth.

4. Removing scuffs and swirls ( I do not have to worry about that)

5. Apply Klasse All-in-one Acrylic polymer with a “quality” form app and buff with Mf towel.

6. After that use Klasse Sealant Glaze, apply 2-3 layers of it.

7. Finish with Pinnacle Souveran or Blitz Wax.

Ok, let’s say I do this whole process but it looks like total utter crap. Would I have to strip the whole thing down again to it over? Would I just wash the car with a strong car wash to get rid of it all?

If it doesn`t look good and you want to strip it off then wash your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip everything down or just apply another coat of Klasse AIO. The AIO should do the trick on the SG and everything else on the car. A Dawn wash wouldn`t hurt though.

How would I know if I removed the polymer?

Klasse beads. If the car sheets water then you know that the Klasse is wearing off. It will be hard to tell if you use AIO to remove the sealant. I wouldn`t worry too much about it. You can`t go wrong with Klasse.

Also when applying multiple layers of the Sealant Glaze, do I just apply and buff the whole car and repeat?

Klasse SG needs at least 24 hours to cure between coats. You apply it, buff it off, and then wait 24 hours before washing your car or something to get the dust off and then repeating.

One more and I will leave you guys alone, with the Pinnacle Souveran wax, how to I apply it with a form applicator? Since it is a paste, do I just apply a thin layer on the form applicator, spread over a 1-2 square foot area, allow hazing, then buff with an Mf towel?

You got it. :xyxthumbs You don`t really need to allow it to haze though. Its pretty much a wipe on-wipe off process. Actually, its recommended that you don`t let it dry on your car. Just do one panel at a time and wipe it off as you go.

Thanks!

:)

I hope that helped a little. You really don`t have anything to worry about. If you follow the suggestions in the Perfect Shine section then it will look great. If you are really interested in obtaining the perfect shine then you`ll need to get familiar with a polisher like the Porter Cable. It can get rid of swirls, scratches, oxidation, hazing, and a ton of other problems. You really need one if looks are your primary goal.