PDA

View Full Version : PC Help

B737GDog
11-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Do you all use your porter cable to remove polish or glaze or only to apply? Also, I use P21s/Souveran and am curious if there is a way to use with the PC or if I should apply and remove by hand. Thanks.

shirtman
11-02-2002, 09:57 PM
:scared Don`t be using a PC for Souveran!! A foam applicator pad just dabbed to the surface of the wax, and spread oh so smoothly on the surface of the car is all you need. Removal is a snap... no need to wit until dry. Just give it a light buff, and the shine will more than reward you for a little bit of effort. The easiest on and off I have experienced.

As for P21, I have not yet had the pleasure of using that particular product.

Use the Souveran like it was gold... it probably costs as much per ounce!!

Jeff

Jngrbrdman
11-02-2002, 10:07 PM
The PC is by far the fastest way to get the job done. There are still a lot of guys that do it by hand though. I do about half my jobs by hand just because there isn`t a power outlet nearby.

You can`t really apply P21S or Souveran with a PC. Like miata said, just use the foam applicator. Souveran does have a liquid form that you can use a PC with. It smells like vanilla milkshakes while you are putting it on too. Good stuff. Not as good as P21S or regular Souveran, but its a fast way to get a coat of carnuba on your car.

Basicly you have to be using a liquid to use a machine. Pastes just don`t work. :)

shirtman
11-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Actually Anthony, I have used Mothers cleaner/wax (paste) and a PC. Took a spackle knife to get a bit out, and wiped it onto the pad.... Seemed to work ok, but I used a LOT of wax. I would NOT recommend this technique with a product as expensive as Souveran.

737dog, unless you are in "the business" and speed is an essential element, take the time to bond with your ride (yes folks, I am sick)and apply waxes without cleaners by hand. If you are using a product that cleans as well, then by all means use the power of the PC to assist.

Just MHO. Your mileage may vary, and since this is a free country, you can do it any way you please. :cool:

Jeff

shaf
11-02-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Black99miata

Actually Anthony, I have used Mothers cleaner/wax (paste) and a PC. Took a spackle knife to get a bit out, and wiped it onto the pad.... Seemed to work ok, but I used a LOT of wax. I would NOT recommend this technique with a product as expensive as Souveran.

737dog, unless you are in "the business" and speed is an essential element, take the time to bond with your ride (yes folks, I am sick)and apply waxes without cleaners by hand. If you are using a product that cleans as well, then by all means use the power of the PC to assist.

Just MHO. Your mileage may vary, and since this is a free country, you can do it any way you please. :cool:

Jeff Griot`s also gives the tip of microwaving your wax (30 seconds?) until it is just warm, then using a putty knife to spread it over the pad. It`s in one of their PDF articles.

The big advantage of the PC lies in its performance while using compounds and polishes, not really while glazing or waxing. If I had a PC, I`d try to use it (hey why not?), but glazing and liquid waxing don`t see much advantage from it because you`re just applying stuff onto the surface. If you have the appropriate MF bonnets, you can use it to remove wax, but I think only a few do so.

B737GDog
11-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. I enjoy applying wax by hand. One last question, for now anyway, should I use the PC in a forward and back motion like I do when hand waxing? My search has brought up many ways and I am curious which is the best. Should I apply in the same direction as the airflow? Thanks again.

Jngrbrdman
11-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Definatly check out the chapter on proper PC use in David`s eBook. As for me, I go back and forth in the direction the air goes. :)

imported_Tony
11-03-2002, 08:58 PM
B737

Should I use the PC in the forward and back motion?

Brad B:

Certain pads need to have compounds applied differently. That`s why there is no one particular way for all applications.

Different people have different techniques. But with the PC, it`s really hard to screw up. It`s doing all the work and the random orbital pattern is just that...random. Making your pattern pretty much a mute point.

With a rotary it`s a bigger deal and you need to be more precise and methodical. It doesn`t matter what pattern you take, it`s the amount of time spent on the surface in any given area.

Just passing this infor on.