PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks right behind side mirror>

Redcar GUY
11-02-2002, 08:55 PM
On the saturn and the Camaro the side mirrors are black and cleared. I can reach most of the swirls that get on the mirrors with the pc but there are a few that are on the part that connects the mirror to the door, they are driving me NUTS! I am about to take the dang mirror off the car and take it apart to get rid of them darn swirls! They are mostly on the Saturn, anyone have any tips? SMR by hand is taking years with little results:(

BradE
11-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Try Meguiars DACP by hand, that works pretty well for me.

If you end up taking the mirror off, and you have power mirrors, make sure you don`t bust the connectors for the motors in the mirror housing. Those things are pesky and get very brittle over time.

Good Luck!

C. Charles Hahn
11-02-2002, 10:01 PM
I do have a suggestion.... if you have a dremel tool see if you can either get or make a foam pad for it (I found one at some hobby shop) and use the SMR with that on a low-ish speed.

-or-

if as I suspect (as with other GM products from the pre-2000 model era) your mirrors may not even be painted, they just look glossy because of all the polishing you`ve done on them. My 98 blazer`s mirrors are this way and the only thing I can use to get rid of the swirls is zaino or meguiars plastic polishes. Followed up with an application of meguiars step-1 cleaner to darken/glossen them up and then on goes the zaino.