PDA

View Full Version : Car Care for Volvo S80: Waxes and cover advice???

djml01miata
11-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have a new S80 with a silver metallic paint. I just waxed my car with Pinnacle carnuba wax. During the cleaning, I noticed several small stains (about the size of the end of a pencil) which appear to be from leaves falling on the car during a rain. Though most came off, one or two stains remained even after cleaning/waxing.

I do not have a carport/garage. My climate here is wet (Louisiana). My car is parked most of the time, as I drive it only occasionally. I need your advice on how to protect my car`s finish and still maintain a brilliant shine. Here are my questions:

1) Would you use a sealant wax instead of carnuba? I understand that if I switch I will have to wait 60-90 days until my present wax wears off.

2) Would you buy a fabric car cover to protect the finish? If so, what type?

My concerns are scratches from the cover and moisture held on the paint by the cover.

3) Would you purchase an aluminum carport? I can buy one here for $650 installed, but it covers mainly the top of the car and provides little coverage for sides, front, and back

I appreciate your time and advice!

imported_BretFraz
11-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Sealants are more durable than carnaubas so if you want longer lasting protection, that`s the way to go. Its more of a personal pref than anything.

A car cover would be ideal. Do a net search on "car covers" and you will find a wealth of info. Ask the mfr or seller what cover is best for your needs.

If you want a carport then get one but a car cover will do the same basic job for lots less than $650. Its up to you.

ashsarna
11-04-2002, 09:59 AM
S80man welcome!! I like your tast in cars (being a volvo addict myself).

First off the european paint (like volvo) are thin and since it sounds like you want to protect your car from chips also, I would recommend looking into a car bra (colgan is the only one I can recommend). Many use the 3M clear bra which is a lot less maintanence (the car bras have to be used appropriately to prevent any scratches), but are expensive, are not removable and (more importantly to me) do not allow me to actually work on the actual car with waxing.

Now to your questions:

Yes, I definately would recommend a sealant. Sealants generally have better shine and the carnauba the dept. The sealants actually have uv protection, last much longer in rainy weather and more. I personally like the dept of using a carnauba, so I get a sealant like klasse AIO as the base and you can top that with your choice of carnauba wax (make sure you wear shades!! :bounce ).

You do not have to really wait 60-90 days till the carnauba wax wears off. You can dawn wash it, or just apply AIO over it(it is a cleaner too) it. You then can top it with your wax (I prefer to put klasse SG as a second step before the carnauba wax. Better shine IMO).

Go with the car cover (if done right, there should be no problems with it).

Never park under any trees. Always clean any bird dropping quick.

Use a clay bar as part of your washing process (they are great for removing contaminants that washing could not).

Spork
11-04-2002, 10:56 AM
I think the carport would provide better protection than the cover simply because you know it will always be there. Car covers can do a lot of damage if not used correctly. They have to be kept clean and only used on a clean car. As for the cost I think a carport is going to last a lot longer and may add to the resale value of the home, so it is most likely a mute point. It will also give you a place to detail out of the sun. If your prevailing winds are out of one direction, then perhaps a side could be put up on just that side. I have been thinking about a carport but do not really have anywhere to put one. I think there are also a lot of do it yourself kits out there that may help on the cost side.