PDA

View Full Version : Remove/Reduce Scratches in Plastic

Accordian
11-02-2002, 02:17 PM
My scooter will be delivered next week and I want to work on scratches that are on the plastic fairing. The seller says these are from a tip-over. I hope the photo I attach makes it through to show the scratches. Otherwise, I put a photo in the member`s gallery call helix scratches.

Should I use progressively finer sandpaper then on to polish? If so, with what grade should I start? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Madonna

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1630helix_scratch.jpg

PS The attachment looked really bad, so if you want to check out the photo, you`ll have to go to the member`s gallery. Sorry!

Scottwax
11-02-2002, 02:52 PM
You might want to try wet sanding with very fine (1500-3000 grit) and then to a strong polish and they progressively less aggressive as needed.

aljo
11-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Try Plexus Plastic Polish.

You can order it online, or goto your local aviation shop.

Redcar GUY
11-02-2002, 03:58 PM
I added the pic for ya:)

Accordian
11-03-2002, 06:58 AM
Thank you so much, RedCarGuy! Guess I need to search the files here to learn how to attach pics.

I`ve never tried wet sanding. Guess there is a first time for everything. Don`t think I`ll make it any worse, really, so this project is a good one to learn on.

I already own the Novus polish, so will try that after the wet sanding.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Madonna :D

Pats300zx
11-03-2002, 12:49 PM
You can try Nexus. They have a three step process that works pretty well. #3 is for really bad scratches and #1 is their regular cleaner.

shaf
11-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

You can try Nexus. They have a three step process that works pretty well. #3 is for really bad scratches and #1 is their regular cleaner. I think you mean Novus? ;)

I have this stuff too, and the #2 really helped to polish out my hazed-up 10 year old tail lights very well. I was happy with how quickly it cut - not too slow, not too fast either. Comes in liquid, like other polishes we use here.

The #1 is a spray on cleaner/protectant. I`m always forgetting to use this. :p