PDA

View Full Version : Polishes etc from the shopping channel

SP 325i
11-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Being very bored I was flicking through the channels and came across care care hour on one of the shopping channels (another dubious US export!!!).

The Mer guy was setting fire to the bonnet etc etc but another product (not Mer) was shown and the water sheeted so that the bodywork was basically dry!!!!!!!! There was no water spotting, it looked pretty good. I made a mental note but have forgot the name of the product.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about and if so has anyone used it ?????

I will see if I can catch the car care hour again to get the name and post it and do a search.

Steve

imported_BretFraz
11-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Sorry about sending you lads that infomercial garbage. And to think, the British are our friends...

Just imagine what we send to Saddam ;)

Those types of "products" have been on TV for years in the States. The last one I recall that showed all kinds of silly proof was Durashine. It was the whole "water sheets and not beads" thing. Do a Search here as I am sure its been discussed before.

Nagchampa
11-02-2002, 11:37 AM
I only buy TV car care products that stand up to the laser beam test.:D

Lowejackson
11-02-2002, 11:40 AM
If the polish cannot protect the paint from fire (or a laser beam) I dont put it on the car :)

Steven

Nagchampa
11-02-2002, 11:52 AM
I forgot about the crayon and shoe polish tests also. :p

SP 325i
11-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it was Durashine. I have done a search and found that it does what it says but doesn`t give a good shine and tends to dull down the paint work. Maybe give it a miss.

Another one I saw was Aurigold. Anyone used this ?

Why do they hire cheesy Londoners to advertise these miracle products in the US ? Do you trust us more ?

By the way I have eventually received Race Glaze International (not to be confused with Race Glaze US) samples so will test those if it ever stops raining here !!!!!

Steve

Scottwax
11-02-2002, 02:14 PM
I tried Auri once about 12 years ago or so. I had seen the ads and then saw it at a Sharper Image store and bought it. Pain to put on, pain to take off, very abrasive and the shine was only average. Left white residue in all the cracks and emblems too.

Now I only use products that will stand up to a tactical nuclear weapon.

imported_dickie
11-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Auri gold was advertised again on some sky shoppnig channel last week. Don`t remember which one, as there are 32 of `em.

They advertise the stuff as a polymer which bonds with your paint and created a protective layer which prevents the finish from being damaged even in severe conditions. To prove this they put lighter fluid on the bonnet and set it on fire. Then wiped the bonnet clean. No burn marks. They also put hydrochloric acid on the bonnet and allowed it to burn for a few seconds. Same thing. No marks left after they wiped it. Finally they took a panel off a car, and got some dancers to tap dance all over it. Cleaned it up perfectly.

A few years ago I bought the GS27 Scratch removal kit - which consisted of a tube of GS27 paste for light scratches and a crayon kit for deeper scratches. I remember when they were advertising this they interviewed some body shop guys who say they save time and money by using gs27 on mercs and bmw`s.

OK I thought. Looks like this stuff works. And the paste worked ok. About the same as Turtle Wax scratch remover or 3m SMR in abrasiveness. But the crayons were a joke, as the deeper scratches came back after a couple of days.

So are all these TV products a con ?

Do they use camera effects to cheat the customer ?

Kleanride
11-06-2002, 01:51 PM
I think that Liquid Lustre was a info-mercial a number of years ago. That is a hot product to sell on the web...man, I used to get emails everyday about the stuff! People asking where I was buying it from (like I was going to tell them!) and "where can I get some in Canada or China or where-ever".

Geez, the stuff is OK at best, but there are WAY better carnaubas out there for way less money...half of which ya can locally.

:confused:

:nixweiss

:cool:

tetz
11-06-2002, 02:27 PM
"Why do they hire cheesy Londoners to advertise these miracle products in the US ? Do you trust us more ?"

...`cuz Americans generally find a British accent attractive, lyrical,

romantic, enchanting or something like that. It is a very common

product marketing tactic to use a person with a British accent to

sell stuff in the US. Really. No joke.

Lowejackson
11-06-2002, 03:25 PM
...`cuz Americans generally find a British accent attractive, lyrical,

romantic, enchanting or something like that. It is a very common

product marketing tactic to use a person with a British accent to

sell stuff in the US

Just in case there is any advetising people, I am availabe for adverts (TV radio etc), so if Mr Zaino (at al) needs a British person, here I am :) ;)

Steven

shaf
11-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Flaccus

So are all these TV products a con ?

Do they use camera effects to cheat the customer ? Some are. Many use cheap tricks to demonstrate "toughness". Probably the worst are the car waxes and engine additives. :down

Apparently you can go out to any Autopian`s car right now and safely do the same "flame trick" on any waxed hood with lighter fluid because of the way it burns. Looks impressive, but means nothing. Don`t use gasoline... I`m tempted to try this on a beater some day. ;)

I bet the most reliable are the super-sharp knives because really, it cuts or it doesn`t right? Sold by smooth talking Englishmen too. :D I think it just may be the price that`s not so hot for these.

For what it`s worth, California Car Dusters (and Water Blades too?) still say "As seen on TV" and they work great. They seem to be the exception to the rule though. :p