PDA

View Full Version : tech problem: PC7424

FC in TO
10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I got a PC 7424 from Coastal Tools as well as the velcro and I am having some problem using it. :(

I am sure the pad and backing are properly secured to the machine and followed the instruction and usage from tech article and David`s video.

But for some reason the pad is not rotaing (as it should)? When I placed the pad in contact of the (testing) surface and turned on the machine, all it did was vibrating :confused: Even if I didn`t put any pressure and just let the polisher work on its own weight the pad still won`t turn.

In some search to the machine itself I realized there are 2 counterweights available. I`ve got a 6" counterweight on its way as my 7424 came with the 5" weight when purcahsed.

Could the wrong counter weight be the problem? Or am I missing anything else?

shaf
10-31-2002, 02:51 PM
There`s no problem with your machine. Apparently, the rotating is just a side-effect, and the main action is all orbital shaped vibrating. Put a piece of tape or something on the edge to see if it moves, and turn it up to a higher speed. It should start spinning then, although still not too fast.

Don`t lift it off at high speed though, some people have said it starts spinning dangerously fast with no load.

porterdog
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
LOL, weird, isn`t it? It`s working right. Generally the harder you press the less actual pad rotation you get, so I typically lift it nearly free of the surface every few seconds to insure that whatever product you are using gets evenly distributed onto the pad.

Robert

DrewD
11-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Here`s a test to see if your PC is spinning correctly...

Soak a foam pad with water and attach it to the velcro backing plate. Set the dial to 6 and turn it on! If you just managed to soak everything in a 10-ft radius, it`s working properly. :D

FC in TO
11-01-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. I feel enlightened :( Gee... am I the only one who doesn`t know it`s supposed to do that. Or maybe I fantacized too much about my 7424 (being orbital action w/ self-rotating pad)

Thanks for the clearification. I tried the tape thingy and it worked like 4DSC described. With that being said, I am getting fair bit of vibration from the whole machine; it`s nto too crazy but enough to make my hands numb after few min of continuous usage.

imported_BretFraz
11-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by FC in TO

I am getting fair bit of vibration from the whole machine; it`s nto too crazy but enough to make my hands numb after few min of continuous usage.

LOL, welcome to PC usage :wavey

shaf
11-02-2002, 05:17 PM

I am getting fair bit of vibration from the whole machine; it`s nto too crazy but enough to make my hands numb after few min of continuous usage. Several people have commented on this getting much better once you switch to the 6" weight. Keep using the 5" sized backing pad though. :)

BillNorth
11-02-2002, 10:37 PM

Thanks guys. I feel enlightened :( Gee... am I the only one who doesn`t know it`s supposed to do that. Or maybe I fantacized too much about my 7424 (being orbital action w/ self-rotating pad)

Thanks for the clearification. I tried the tape thingy and it worked like 4DSC described. With that being said, I am getting fair bit of vibration from the whole machine; it`s nto too crazy but enough to make my hands numb after few min of continuous usage.

What speed are you using?

I found that when I used it @ speed 5 or 6 my fingers got numb after 10 minutes. Now I work it in @ speed 2, and I up it to speed 4 when the polish starts to dry. I never go above 4 anymore. I still get excellent results this way!