PDA

View Full Version : Spots on hood and trunk

PerfectionDetailing
10-29-2002, 10:01 PM
I own an 8 month old boxster that live in the garage and has travelled 8,600 miles so far. The paint is perfect less some hairline scratches in the clear coat that are not visible unless looked at carefully against a bright source of light. In addition to this there are spots on the hood. These are very small colorless spots that seem to be ingrained in the clear coat. You cannot feel the spots and when I try and rub them with AIO it seems that they leave streaks until all the liquid is absorbed by the towel. The spots or dots are the size of pin heads if not smaller. They are not visible unless you look close to the paint when it is really well lit.

My first question is what are these? Hard water stains, chips in the clear coat laquer due to sand and dust hitting the car on my wild 140mph drives? I have no idea what these are and how to remove them.

What do you guys think?

By the way there are a lot more on the hood than there are on the trunk. Also my car is dark blue so you can see just about everything.

heres a pic

boxter pic (http://www.uvm.edu/~ckrikos/car/box12.jpg)

Pic to wide changed img tag to url

imported_BretFraz
10-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Have you looked at them under a magnifying glass or loupe? I have a 30X magnifier from Radio Scrap that lets me see exactly what strange stuff is on my paint.

Wothout seeing them myself I can only guess as to what they are. Maybe take it to a body shop and let a painter have a look?