PDA

View Full Version : 3M IHG + Show Car wax

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_dickie
10-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Managed to get rid of most of the swirls out of my 7 week old Red Skoda Octavia RS Turbo using some 3m swirl mark remover and a lot of elbow grease. I think the swirls were put there by whoever washed the car when it came into the country (most likely the importer using a brush !!); as the dealer didn`t touch it. I was there when it came off the truck.

Anyway; there still is some persistent swirls on the rear spoiler, and rear quarter panels which are visible in bright sunglight. And a few on the bonnet and the roof, visisble under street lights / halogens etc.. The only solution I understnad is to use an Orbital buffer. The swirl mark remover by hand on these areas has just created finer swirls and in the case of the rear spoiler, it actually took some paint off (so the thing probably isn`t clear coated).

Before I go down that route; I was thinking of hiding the swirls with some 3m IHG. I know this only lasts a short while. But if I added some 3M Show Car liquid wax (prefer it to the paste which is a bit hard); would that not extend how long I fill the swirls. I believe the wax also has some swirl hiding properties, and is comparable to P21S Concours wax.

BradE
10-29-2002, 10:20 AM
I am not a fan of 3M Show Car Paste or Liquid wax. It gives a great initial shine but the durability is very, very poor. Here in the states, Cincinnati Ohio to be specific, the wax only held up for about a week. That was even on a light color vehicle. I can imagine in the harsh climate of Ireland it would be even worse.

There are better choices out there, much better. If you want a durable wax try something like Blitz.

Good Luck!

bjwebster
10-29-2002, 10:32 AM
I have never used the 3m wax, but everything I have heard has been thats its just so-so. There are much better choices out there, such as blitz as SRL said.

imported_Intermezzo
10-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Flaccus

Before I go down that route; I was thinking of hiding the swirls with some 3m IHG. I know this only lasts a short while. But if I added some 3M Show Car liquid wax (prefer it to the paste which is a bit hard); would that not extend how long I fill the swirls. I believe the wax also has some swirl hiding properties, and is comparable to P21S Concours wax.

I wasn`t too impressed with the swirl-filling ability of IHG or any of those `glaze` type of products. In my experience, they don`t even cover up the hazing one sometimes gets when using a swirl-remover. I use them more for their shine since they are "pure" polishes with very little cleaning ability.

But in answer to your question....yes, the final wax protectant will help extend or `lock-in` the shine you get from IHG.

Lowejackson
10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
I dont know if you can get hold of One Grand Blitz wax, but if you can also get some of the One Grand Glaze, it is very good and sounds perfect for what you want.

Steven

imported_BretFraz
10-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

I dont know if you can get hold of One Grand Blitz wax, but if you can also get some of the One Grand Glaze, it is very good and sounds perfect for what you want.

Steven

I`m in agreement here. One Grand Omega Glaze and Blitz wax is a fantastic combo. If you can find it, try it.

More serious scratches/swirls call for a more serious polish. ya gotta go to the next step which would be something like 3M Finesse-It II polish. Follow that with the SMR then glaze or wax.

Richt
10-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Flaccus, you should be able to get either procts from Frost. Steven posted me the link i ordered the wax yesterday, because i alreay have hand glaze and no 7 meguairs glazes

http://www.frost.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Special_Offers_5.html

imported_dickie
10-30-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the link. But the shipping to Ireland costs more then the polish and wax. Must ring them and see if I can work something out.

The other alternative I was thinking of was P21S. I believe their polish and their wax both have some swirl hiding capabilities. I actually got a bottle of GEPC last year from autodetail.com but never used it, as it says it`s for cars that have a 6month or older paint finish. What you reckon ?

So for hiding swirl marks and hopefully extending the length of time this lasts, which is a better choice

3mIHG + 3m show car liquid wax

or

P21S GEPC+ P21S concours wax

or

One Grand Glaze + Blitz

or

a combination of the above

thx

Richt
10-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Im not sure I have ordered the Blitz wax like i said. I have P21s Concours also from autodetail.com, have considered theer polish as well as the blitz glaze, but personally i uses meguairs showcar glaze and hand polish, topped with a combo of megs 26, which looked good, p21s looked even beeter or Dr Ok chemie wack A1 speed wax if im pushed for time. I go for the P21s combo if i was you? Not sure about the time thing, 6 months you say?

Paintxpert
10-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Crikey £25 for the pair isnt bad! If only I would have know about this place in the UK sooner :wavey :xyxthumbs

I`m going to go for the special offer and get 2 bottles of polish glaze and get a free bottle of protectant :cool: :D

Oh and the Blitz wax of course ;)

For all 4 products it works out at £37 which isnt bad...

:bow

Richt
10-30-2002, 08:40 AM
Cant wait for the Blitz to turn up. My P21s came all the way from the states, but it is the best wax ive ever used. You can get all the meguiars products over here if you phone them direct.

Paintxpert
10-30-2002, 08:48 AM
Yep I heard u could order any of the Meguiars stuff direct :xyxthumbs

When are you going to try the Blitz stuff? No rush, as I have only just given my car its winter prep with a load of meguiars :doh

:up

imported_dickie
10-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Just out of curiousity, how good is this

"Dr Ok chemie wack A1 speed wax"

I see petrol station shops near me sell it.

Richt
10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
The speed wax is really good, goes on like water, in conststency is like extra gloss and buffs of in minutes you can do the whole car in minutes, i really like it. I use it over the top of autoglym on my nissan, (Work vehicle) and use it over meguiars and top it with P21s on the Peugeot. Really good stuff, good eading and gloss. Suface doesnt feel as silk or look as wet as either P21s of Megs 26. but looks beter than autoglym and is as quick and easy as they claim.

I ordered my blitz yesterday will use it at the weekend if it comes.

Top products to obtain from megs are the show car glaze, ther final inspection quick detailer, it is so much better than the commercial one. I have just ordered hand polish as it is supposed to be better the show car glaze. Nick What did you use to prep the Honda???

Im going back to Autoglym resin , extra gloss topped with Blitz and or P21s for the winter i think.

Paintxpert
10-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Rich,

I await your results (and pics?) with anticipation this weekend (although I will be mostly hungover :p ).

I use the commercial quick detailer and think its fab. Is the final inspection stuff really better? :nixweiss

Detailing my car was done like this:

Washing up liquid

clay

meguiars crystal polish (2nd stage)

meguiars crystal carnauba wax (3rd stage)

Turtle wax gloss guard sealant

:bow