PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Moose

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scottwax
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
This morning I received a bottle of Vanilla Moose to test, a glaze that is made by Clearkote ( www.clearkote.net ). It won`t be available for sale until the first of the year, but Everett Glass (Clearkote`s owner) asked me to try it out and let him know what I thought of it.

It is a product meant to compliment Moose Wax, which seems to have chemical cleaners in it (I have removed moderate oxidation with it), but no abrasives to remove minor scratches and swirls. It comes in a 16 oz bottle, and probably larger sizes will also be available like the wax.

Anyway, I opened the bottle, and the product itself is white and has a vanilla/chemical smell to it. Nothing real bad, but don`t expect a bouquet of flowery pineapple/banana/tropical scent to flood your nostrils. The label recommends you work it into the paint in a back and forth motion (the way air flows across the car) until the scratches are no longer visible. No need to wait for it to dry, either. Wipe off immediately or go over several sections of the car and wipe off when it is completely dry, didn`t seem to matter, the excess wiped off quickly with no apparent dusting.

My car has some minor scratches here and there, but nothing too bad. Vanilla Moose went on very easy and spread quickly, needing very little product to do the job. All the minor surface scratches disappeared except for one, but honestly, I don`t think DACP would get this one out (it is along the lower part of the drivers door when I opened it into a high curb a while back). It also did an excellent job on the black plastic pillars and mirrors on my car. It also leaves a very nice shine. Honestly, I couldn`t see a difference between the sides I waxed with S100 last week and the sides I polished with Vanilla Moose, which to me suggests it leaves a very nice shine-if not, it would have degraded the appearance of the panels when compared to S100. I would compare the gloss to S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleanser and the cutting ability to be similar to Meguiars Swirl Free or #9 Swirl Remover. I wouldn`t expect it to remove deep scratches and heavy swirls (nor do I believe that is it`s intended use anyway), but for light scratches and swirls, it seems to work very well and quickly.

I am currently out of Moose Wax, so I couldn`t try it directly over the Vanilla Moose (I need to order more, I cleaned out the shop near me off the wax a while back and they haven`t ordered anymore yet, I guess I need to order straight from Clearkote), but I did rewax my car with S100 and the combination is every bit as glossy and wet looking as if I had used S100 SEPC and S100 Wax.

I don`t know what the price will be when it is released, but in my opinion, it is worth checking out. Very nice gloss, works very quickly and is very user friendly.

I give it a big :up

shaf
10-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the interesting review Scott. It seems that Clearkote makes some very good performing products.

Scottwax
10-30-2002, 07:02 PM
I put Vanilla Moose to the test on black today--a black BMW 745 Li. It had some scratches on the hood because the customer had put his feet up on the hood earlier in the week (he parks inside their warehouse and was parked close enough to the bench out there he was able to put his feet up on his hood).

Anyway, I used a terry cloth towel and a little Vanilla Moose and rubbed it across the scratches front to back for about 20 seconds and wiped off the excess and the scratches almost completely disappeared. I went back over it one more time with first terry cloth and then with a foam hand pad (about 15-20 seconds each time) and the scratches were gone and the paint was extremely slick and glassy feeling.

My customer also wanted his car waxed, and I suggested I also polish it since even though he was having me wax it every 3-4 weeks since it was new, I hadn`t polished it. He told me to go ahead. I used Vanilla Moose with a foam hand pad, again working back and forth across the car. I would do about 1/4th the surface, then go back over and wipe off the excess, which came off with very little effort and absolutely no dusting that I could see. When I was done polishing, I rubbed my hand across the paint and it felt very slick, just like S100 SEPC does. I asked my customer to come out and look at his car and he couldn`t believe I hadn`t even waxed it, given the shine and slickness of the paint.

So far, I have been very impressed with Vanilla Moose. I`ve already informed Mr. Glass I will be ordering some more as soon as it is available.

cpaddock
10-30-2002, 07:10 PM
Nice reviews, I am very curious at what this product will go for.

As for using a 745 for a footrest:shocked :scared :nixweiss

qsfanzone
10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
So for the rest of us to get the same results as you do by hand, we will have to use our PC’s with this product. LOL

I am looking forward to getting a bottle and trying it out once it becomes available. Thanks for the product information and update Scottwax. Please keep us informed on any other vehicles you use this product on.

Scottwax
10-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Lee-just FYI, you can use either hand or machine with Vanilla Moose.

emanon-he told me he had no idea it would scratch his paint. He now knows otherwise!

qsfanzone
10-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Lee-just FYI, you can use either hand or machine with Vanilla Moose. Yeah, I figured it would work with either hand or machine. It’s just that us mere mortals have to use a PC to get the same results that you get by doing it by hand. LOL.

PS. I’ll bet your pretty good at arm wrestling too. LOL :eek:

Scottwax
01-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Vanilla Moose is now available. It isn`t on the website yet, but you can order it via the comments box on the ordering page. Price is $12 for a pint, which is comparable to S100 SEPC/P21S GEPC with respects to price (12 oz for $9 for SEPC) and performance (same slick shine and ease of use). Just another good option for a final polish prior to waxing...and it will remove moderate oxidation that SEPC can`t.

detailbarn
01-06-2003, 07:07 PM
scottwax do you recommend any of their other products?

Scottwax
01-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by detailbarn

scottwax do you recommend any of their other products?

Quikshine is my favorite quick detailer, Moose Wax is an excellent one step wax-but Vanilla Moose should compliment it well since the Moose Wax has only chemical cleaners that do not seem to be abrasive while Vanilla Moose has some cutting power.

I like their tire dressing although it is a little pricey. Blockbuster carries their CD cleaner so I would assume it does a good job.

imported_DennisA
01-24-2003, 09:32 PM
First of all, I’d like to send out a big thank you to David for this forum and to all of the members for sharing their knowledge and experience. I’ve been reading and searching and digesting for the past two weeks and am finally able to put some pieces together without being overwhelmed. A true cornucopia of polishing perfection.

After reading :bow ScottWax’s (my polishing idol) review on Vanilla Moose, and getting very intrigued, I was left with some questions in regards to my personal circumstances. I e-mailed Everett at Clearkote with them and he was kind enough to answer them thoroughly. I thought that in the spirit of this forum, I would share the information with any who are interested.

First, a little background. I own a dark green metallic 2000 Acura TL and a nighthawk black 2002 Acura TLS. The TLS has blue metal flakes mixed in with the black and is very striking when polished. I have used the Z process on both the cars but was not satisfied with the polishing capabilities, or lack thereof, of Z5. Therefore, it was with great interest when I read ScottWax’s statement, “I would compare the gloss to S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleanser and the cutting ability to be similar to Meguiars Swirl Free or #9 Swirl Remover.†because it seems that I would be able to get the best of two products for the price of one. This started me thinking (uh oh), and that’s when I e-mailed Everett with these questions:

1. I am thinking of ordering some Vanilla Moose and would like to apply Zaino over it. Do you think that the Zaino will bond successfully to the Vanilla Moose?

2. Also, because of the cutting power of Vanilla Moose, does it remove oxidation like Moose Wax does, but in a different way?

3. And finally, if I were to use both Vanilla Moose and Moose Wax, could I use Zaino on top of them without a problem?

His reply was:

Dennis ;

Let me start by saying thank you for the interest in Clearkote Products.

I will try and answer your questions as honestly as possible, however, I`ll answer in a reverse order.

1. I would recommend using Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze first , followed by Moose Wax, then apply a coat of Quik Shine. I think you will be truly amazed at the increase in reflective gloss, depth as well as the actual color changing to a deeper darker and richer appearance. You will notice that the darker the surface the more dynamic change you will see and if you have any metallic or pearls in the paint, they will explode out at you.You will probably not wish to apply the Zaino. Should you elect to apply Zaino on top of the Quik Shine, I don`t beleave you will see any increase in reflective gloss. You might even notice a slight decrease in the reflective gloss. As far as protection. Application of the wax is recommended once every 90 days on a daily driver and 6 months to a year on a show car and weekend warrior. It will provide 100% UV protection on the paint, plastic and rubber surfaces.

2. As far as applying Zaino on top of the regular Moose Wax, I can`t answer that. I guess you could apply Zaino on top on it, here again you may find that the reflective gloss diminishes when another wax is applied on top of the Quik Shine.

3. As far as applying V.M and M.W. then applying Zaino on top of them and bonding, I am not knowledgeable as to the chemical compounds in Zaino. I will say this, that Moose Wax will remove all of the other wax and polish it is on top of even carnauba.

One of the features about the Moose Wax, is that it doe not build up.

I personally beleave that once you use Clearkote products you will not want to use Zaino. Due to the ease of application and removal and the results you will achieve.

I hope I have answered your questions.

The only thing I ask is should you use our products and fall in love with them is that you send us a customer.

Once again;

Thanks for looking at Clearkote Products.

Everett Glass(AKA) MOOSEMAN

and,

Dennis;

Something I forget to respond to is:

Vanilla Moose removes oxidation the same way as regular Moose Wax, chemically. The difference is the Vanilla Moose has a micro fine abrasive to remove those pesky 1% surface scratches, (I call them spider marks). It can be accomplished with or without a buffer.

Everett

Soâ€I think I’m still going to try it with the Z2 in a few weeks. I`ll check the results with the VM and MW first, but, I`m really curious how it`ll look with Z2 as a topper. Now I just need to buy some CM, VM, MW, QS and some MFs. Oh and a PC with some yellow and white pads andâ€:rolleyes: :D

Hope this was helpful to some members and wish me luck!

C. Charles Hahn
01-24-2003, 09:37 PM
generally you will find that zaino won`t bond to the VM, as basically it is a glaze, and Z doesnt like oils on the surface when you apply it. ;)

imported_bigltc
01-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Great review Scott!! Can this be a topper after AIO and SG?? If so, I`m gonna get some.

Scottwax
01-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ExplEddieBauer

Great review Scott!! Can this be a topper after AIO and SG?? If so, I`m gonna get some.

Vanilla Moose is slightly abrasive (like Meguiars #9) and it isn`t a wax, so it wouldn`t protect the paint. Either Vanilla Moose topped by Moose Wax or S100 will give you an incredible shine, but it won`t be as durable as AIO and SG.

Richt
01-28-2003, 06:42 AM
Emailed claerkote about ordering some quikshine and vanilla moose, no reply though :( Looks like us Brits lose out again.