PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Maxima Cleaning/Detailing

boywonder
10-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Fifth Generation Maximas (also known as A33) covers model years 2000 - 2003. Commonly, the 2002 - 2003 variant is referred to as the 5.5 Gen. These cars have more curves to deal with than the 4th Generations but are pretty easy to deal with. Here are some particulars when detailing them.

a) Headlight Haze

This is a known problem on `02-`03 Maximas. It seems as though the headlight cover has a haze on the inside of it. The cover is a sealed cover and is extremely difficult to remove.

b) Anniversary Edition Door Sills

These are prone to scratching if you use too harsh a metal polish on them. You might want to consider something like Mother`s or Wenol Blue.

c) Fuel Filler Door

Nissan, in its infinite wisdom :rolleyes:, did not put a splash guard for the fuel filler line in the 5th Gen Maximas. As a result, the fuel door area can accumulate a lot of dirt. If you are washing one of these cars, it would be a good idea to wash this area to get rid of any accumulated dirt. For 2000-2001 model years, there is a TSB for it. For 2002-2003, we have to live with cleaning the crud as the parts for the `00-`01 TSB do not fit ours. :rolleyes:

boywonder
03-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Another thing about the 5th Gen Maxima is the six spoke SE Rims.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/540cleaned_wheel.jpg

The design of those rims lends itself to easier cleaning of some parts behind the rim face. The rim above is on the 2002-2003 Maxima. The SE rims on the 2000 - 2001 are similar except that the lug nuts are hidden by a hubcap. I use an old sheepswool mitt to go behind there and clean those areas I can access with my hand.

The tightest area is around the brake caliper and using a flexible brush to get behind the wheel in that spot is a good idea.

Since these wheels are clearcoated, claying them is a very good idea to remove brake dust and contaminants. Also, putting a glaze like Meguiar`s #20 or Klasse Sealant Glaze adds a level of protection against brake dust. However, if Axxis Metal Matrix pads are installed, expect as much brake dust as a European car. The good news is that EF HI (full strength) or P21S gel will be highly effective.

http://www.wheels-and-rims.com/images/ALY62400U.jpg

The seven spoke GLE rims shown above will require a flexible brush since the spaces are tighter (unless you have small hands). These rims are aluminum but are also clearcoated like the SE rims. You can clay and glaze them as well. But if they get too dull, you might want to consider polishing them with a good metal polish like Mothers or Wenol.

Chinkzilla
03-21-2003, 08:27 AM
:up

same car, same color, same problems, same love :)

LightYagami
03-21-2003, 11:00 AM
My wife has an `02 Maxima and the hood is now full of paint chips. How you also finding that the paint seems very fragile?

TheOzzfather
03-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by lexusdane

My wife has an `02 Maxima and the hood is now full of paint chips. How you also finding that the paint seems very fragile?

Maxima club called maxima.org. One of the largest complaints is that the paint is so soft on our cars. I have three small chips up near the wipe solution dispensor thing that I caked the Zaino on this winter. The BEST BEST BEST thing to do is to put a clear bra on your car. I got mine on for $120 including the mirrors. I cannot imagine what the hood would look like after this winter had it not been there. But I was surprised that I only found three small chips on the rest of the car from the winter. Everyone on the org `````ess that their Max doesnt do this or that. For the power we get and the luxury for under $30,000 I would say we have great cars.

Chinkzilla
03-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by lexusdane

this is DEFINITELY a problem with maximas. Previous to this one, I owned a 2000 Maxima GLE and had massive paint chipping problems. On this one, I got a clear bra put on about a week after I got it. This has saved my paint in countless ways. Highly recommended.

bpantherone
04-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Chinkzilla

this is DEFINITELY a problem with maximas. Previous to this one, I owned a 2000 Maxima GLE and had massive paint chipping problems. On this one, I got a clear bra put on about a week after I got it. This has saved my paint in countless ways. Highly recommended.

My only regret with my `03 Maxima is that I didn`t invest in a clear bra. Because of just one November trip on an over-salted interstate (for a snowstorm that never came), I have at least a dozen nasty chips to touch up. :mad:

I would definitely recommend to anyone with a brand-new Maxima to invest in a clear bra.

boywonder
06-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Warning

A33 Maximas have a metal clip near the caliper that is EXTREMELY sharp. I have been cut by this a few times, but not severely. However, there was an extreme case as shown in the link below.

Here`s the post that tells the story: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222809&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The best way to prevent the slicing is to adjust your mitt or use a brush to clean that part of the rim.

2002 Maxima SE
06-10-2003, 03:19 PM
I have cut my hand many a weekend too (not knowing how). Now I know.

What do you guys use on your rubber rain rails to keep it from drying and cracking?

boywonder
06-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 2002 Maxima SE

I have cut my hand many a weekend too (not knowing how). Now I know.

What do you guys use on your rubber rain rails to keep it from drying and cracking?

...and the worst part about it is that you don`t feel a darn thing until you see the blood dripping.

boywonder
06-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Guess what? I sliced my right thumb today cleaning the wheels on the car. I did not feel a darn thing but I didn`t bleed, either.

boywonder
10-25-2003, 07:24 AM
The grille on the A33s is somewhat of a modified egg crate design. A good tip to clean the areas in between is to find a sponge based wheel brush to clean them thoroughly.

RichSpidizzy
01-14-2004, 11:53 PM
About the whole paint chip thing, there is currently a class action lawsuit against Nissan:

Taken from www.tzalaw.com

The lawsuit alleges that Nissan was aware that the paint on its model year 2000-2003 Maximas and model year 2001-2003 Nissan Sentras was of an inferior quality, which allows the paint to chip easily, but failed to disclose this fact to car buyers. Instead, Nissan deceptively claimed in its brochures that its paint was proven, through Nissan`s "diamond" or "salt-spray" testing process, to resist chipping and have a superior durability.Go to http://www.tzalaw.com and click on "Litigation" then "Nissan Paint Litigation".

If you want the questionaire that the law firm has you fill out, let me know (post, PM, whatever) and I`ll email it to you. I can`t attach it here, word docs are not valid attachment files. oh well:nixweiss

boywonder
03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
A33 GLE`s, 5.5 Gen GXEs and some earlier SEs have a 5 spoke rim that is very easy to clean. But, as I pointed out before, watch that clip.

boywonder
04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
The center consoles in these cars have a deep crevice that needs a good detail brush to sweep out. Also, use a decent plastic polish or AIO on the radio face.